Verizon iPhone 4 - post iOS 6, no sound through handset

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The big thing for me is no "Street View"!

I use this feature all the time . . . :Angry-Tongue:

Yeah, I'd imagine that's proprietary to Google and their autonomous cars. Good luck to Apple to replicate that functionality! I'm sure the 3D flyover is cool, but certainly not as useful.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well fellas, just wanted to say thanks for chiming in and trying to help. I'm very relieved to have my phone fully functional now.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Look out the window. :p
Ha ha!
Saves a lot of time when looking at Real Estate Listings.
Well fellas, just wanted to say thanks for chiming in and trying to help. I'm very relieved to have my phone fully functional now.

So how did you get it working?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how did you get it working?

Started the phone in DFU mode and forced a re-flash of the firmware.

Don't know why it didn't go right the first time, but that definitely seems to have corrected it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Started the phone in DFU mode and forced a re-flash of the firmware.

Don't know why it didn't go right the first time, but that definitely seems to have corrected it.

Good thing to remember if I ever have a problem with an OS update.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the maps thing, full disclosure - I never found the maps app to be of much use. Early on, I bought Garmin's GPS app and it suits my (apparently modest) needs for nav and maps. But now that I'm reading up on it, it does seem fairly useful.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the maps thing, full disclosure - I never found the maps app to be of much use. Early on, I bought Garmin's GPS app and it suits my (apparently modest) needs for nav and maps. But now that I'm reading up on it, it does seem fairly useful.

I am in a three year countdown to retirement, and part of that is deciding whether to move or retire in place. To that end, Google Street View is a wonderful tool for driving through potential areas without having to stir out into actual sunlight. ;P

EDIT: It does save on gas as well

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can always continue using the web app or you can download Google Earth from the App Store which, for all intents and purposes, is Google Maps but with a little extra flair.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am in a three year countdown to retirement, and part of that is deciding whether to move or retire in place. To that end, Google Street View is a wonderful tool for driving through potential areas without having to stir out into actual sunlight. ;P

EDIT: It does save on gas as well

Ever done it on Google Earth? It's almost spooky on a big screen... I've played with it quite a bit on the Mac and iPad.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ever done it on Google Earth? It's almost spooky on a big screen... I've played with it quite a bit on the Mac and iPad.

That, Zillow.com and spreadsheets . . . ;)

I have vicariously journeyed through much of this land.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I just say again how relieved I am that this thing is working properly? Honestly, five years ago, had you told me that I could get this worked up about a phone, I'd have laughed at you... shows just how much the iPhone has changed the world (at least for this guy).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The role of phones in people's lives have changed dramatically. I can't tell you how often I see people clutching their phones as if it were an appendage required for the purposes of breathing. Often I'll be on the bus looking at someone holding their phone in their lap as they sit there with a bag, jacket and pants with multiple pockets. Five years ago, people carried them around in their pockets or bags and checked them occasionally. I'm not saying this "phone as appendage" approach matches your usage but an increased dependence sure has become much more common (and I'm in that group as well).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Can I just say again how relieved I am that this thing is working properly? Honestly, five years ago, had you told me that I could get this worked up about a phone, I'd have laughed at you... shows just how much the iPhone has changed the world (at least for this guy).

Glad you got it all sorted out. It is frustrating when things don't go as planned. I tend to get worked up too on these things.

All is well in the iPhone world........for now. ;D

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not telling the wife that it's fixed BTW, this might just be my ticket to a new iPhone 5 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I'm not telling the wife that it's fixed BTW, this might just be my ticket to a new iPhone 5 :D

That may work! The only 5 getting delivered here tomorrow goes to the wife. She is a total i junkie!!

Reaction score
Sound Fix!!!!!

So, I jumped on iOS 6 a little too quickly.

My 16GB Verizon iPhone 4 no longer has any audio on the handset speaker when making calls. Recipients can hear me, but I can't hear them until I put it on speakerphone.

Any ideas? Tried a cold reset. Turned off bluetooth. Nada, zip, zilch.... should I restore it? If I do, is there any way to preserve my icon positions and folders?

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4 on iOS 6. Whenever this happens, plug your iPhone so it is charging. Then go to your iPod app and play a song at max volume. Then, while the song is still playing, unplug the device and the sound should be working. You can turn the song off after you unplug it.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the same problem with my iPhone 4 on iOS 6. Whenever this happens, plug your iPhone so it is charging. Then go to your iPod app and play a song at max volume. Then, while the song is still playing, unplug the device and the sound should be working. You can turn the song off after you unplug it.

It wasn't the speakers (where music would play). It was the receiver (i.e. the little speaker that you'd hold your ear up to when you bring the phone to your face). The normal speakers, including speakerphone, worked just fine. I was aware of the docking issue, but that had no bearing on my problem at the time.

But it's irrelevant now as a re-flash corrected the issue in its entirety and the phone is working great now.

Reaction score
Help!

Hey guys,
I really need your help on this, I have a 4s that worked perfectly up until last night when I updated to iOS 6..
Everything was working great it's just this morning I noticed I suddenly can't control volume bar because it literally disappeared, only way it gets back is by connecting headphones however as soon as the headphones are disconnected the volume bar disappears.
I restored twice to factory settings, tried rebooting, cleaning the dock port and everything but nothing seems to help, not even the way suggested here (DFU restore).. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this annoying situation?

Thanks a lot,

-Daniel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.