• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A funny thing happened in the Apple store...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I'd heard it said before now that getting a job at Apple - even just an entry-level position at one of their retail stores - involved a selection process almost as rigorous as that to get into Oxford/Harvard/etc. or to get a job at NASA...

I'm not so sure this is true in the case of the Thurrock Lakeside (Essex, England, GB) store :Smirk:

Nipping in to once again "umm" & "ahh" while mulling-over investing in an entry-level MacBook Air for university I happened to overhear the young woman giving a "One to One" lesson at the next table.

All was going well until I heard her refer to the features of "Oh Ess Ex"... It went downhill from there, being followed not long after by "...and this is another reason why I prefer Numbers over, uh... Over other programs like, um... That let you do things with numbers..."

She sounded profoundly un-computer-savy (in terms of any OS). Not knowing that the OS in current Macs is version ten-point-something & that's what the X means? Not being familiar with the concept of a spreadsheet program? Indeed, as she was specifically tasked with helping people migrate from Windows, not knowing that the equivalent Microsoft app was Excel?

I think I could've taught that class better, and I've never actually owned a Mac (yet); just used other people's & the ones at my university!

</amused but moderately bemused rant>

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'd heard it said before now that getting a job at Apple - even just an entry-level position at one of their retail stores - involved a selection process almost as rigorous as that to get into Oxford/Harvard/etc. or to get a job at NASA...

I'm not so sure this is true in the case of the Thurrock Lakeside (Essex, England, GB) store :Smirk:

Nipping in to once again "umm" & "ahh" while mulling-over investing in an entry-level MacBook Air for university I happened to overhear the young woman giving a "One to One" lesson at the next table.

All was going well until I heard her refer to the features of "Oh Ess Ex"... It went downhill from there, being followed not long after by "...and this is another reason why I prefer Numbers over, uh... Over other programs like, um... That let you do things with numbers..."

She sounded profoundly un-computer-savy (in terms of any OS). Not knowing that the OS in current Macs is version ten-point-something & that's what the X means? Not being familiar with the concept of a spreadsheet program? Indeed, as she was specifically tasked with helping people migrate from Windows, not knowing that the equivalent Microsoft app was Excel?

I think I could've taught that class better, and I've never actually owned a Mac (yet); just used other people's & the ones at my university!

</amused but moderately bemused rant>

What is being assumed is that the Apple Store employee selection/interview process is weighted heavily in terms of computer knowledge.

I have a feeling that what Apple is looking for (and a lot of other large corporations)…are folks with certain:

- people skills
- personality traits
- are "trainable" in the important computer hardware and OS related topics

How many folks do we know that have terrific computer skills…but have TERRIBLE "people skills"!;)

In many cases…the computer skills are something that can be learned…but bad "people skills" and certain "personality traits" are hard to eliminate. It may also be a "plus"…that a sales employee is not a computer expert…since as we know…sometimes computer experts can be arrogant…and look down their nose at less-knowledgeable folks (not very good for a person in a sales position to make a customer feel inferior or stupid).

Give someone 3-6 months in an Apple Store (or less)…and they will know everything they will need to know in terms of the hardware & the OS. Apple is always changing things anyway…so an employee doesn't really need to know much about things other than the last 2-3 years of hardware & OS releases. I think that when new hardware & new OS version's are released…all the sales folks do a "brain-dump" anyway!;)

Maybe what you may be thinking is…the knowledge base an "Apple Genius" may need…versus a sales floor employee.:)

Just my theory(s),:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I guess I'm an dummy. I verbalize OS X as "Oh-ess-ecks". Then again, I pronounce Illinois as "Ill-ee-noiz" and I lived there for 30 years.

Reaction score
There's some folks here that should be working in an Apple Store though, where I live they could use some replacements. :)

SM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.