Cutting iOS 6 features for iPhone 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Gotta love Apple's marketing scheme trying to get owners of older hardware to upgrade for certain features. Siri was one example when they released the iPhone 4S because Siri certainly runs on the iPhone 4 (I've had it on mine). Now they've clipped Flyover and Panorama from the iPhone 4 when those are 2 of the bigger updates people were going to want to see. I know this ploy Apple does makes sense business-wise, but it's kind of insulting having Apple feel like they need to make people upgrade their hardware. I was already planning on getting the iPhone 5, I don't need an extra push.

Anyway, that's all I've found so far after upgrading to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 and I'm sure there will be a few more things that I'm not able to do. I'm off my soap box.

- ImageX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
Other than losing a couple of your favorite apps how do you like IOS6? I'm currently updating mine right now?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I want to know what I can't do on my 3GS...

Going to have to make sure Audible works before I upgrade - or will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I want to know what I can't do on my 3GS...

Going to have to make sure Audible works before I upgrade - or will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?

The 3GS is compatible with iOS 6

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Other than losing a couple of your favorite apps how do you like IOS6? I'm currently updating mine right now?

So far, it seems about the same as iOS 5. A few of the screens are different looking and I haven't noticed any of my apps missing other than YouTube, but that's available as a download in the App Store.

...will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?

iOS 6 will install on the 3GS, but it may run even slower than iOS 5 does, and it will be lacking at least the same features it lacks for the iPhone 4, if not more. These removed features makes it basically feel like iOS 5, but with some menu screens looking different and with Passbook if you even were interested in using that. The maps app is about the same as it used to be, but the map just has a different skin.

All in all, if you don't have an iPhone 4S, it's not really worth it unless any of the smaller features intrigued you.

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, iOS 6 just released and there is still not a more efficient way to close multi-tasking apps... Still tap one by one. And Apple wonders why people jailbreak their devices. Also, the folders can still only hold 12 items. They need to just add scrolling to folders already like Infini-folders. I'm not sure how nobody in the development team could use more than 12 apps in a folder. It's bad when you have 2-3 folders for the same type of apps because one folder can only hold 12 items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have an IP4 and have been contemplating whether or not to upgrade to IOS6. I don't do social networking Twitty-Pages type stuff and also have no real interest in Passbook, Do Not Disturb, or Photostream. All in all, my IP4 is stable on IOS5 and I'm at a loss as to whether it's worth the upgrade in my case. Not slamming IOS6, just not sure it is a value aded proposition for me right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have an IP4 and have been contemplating whether or not to upgrade to IOS6. I don't do social networking Twitty-Pages type stuff and also have no real interest in Passbook, Do Not Disturb, or Photostream. All in all, my IP4 is stable on IOS5 and I'm at a loss as to whether it's worth the upgrade in my case. Not slamming IOS6, just not sure it is a value aded proposition for me right now.

I would say it is a waste of time for you. That is about all that is added to the IP4 anyway, so it makes sense to stay where your at. DND is a nice feature as I usually carry the phone to bed and there are times when something comes through and disturbs me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I would say it is a waste of time for you. That is about all that is added to the IP4 anyway, so it makes sense to stay where your at. DND is a nice feature as I usually carry the phone to bed and there are times when something comes through and disturbs me.

That pretty much validates what I was thinking. I can probably live without DND. Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Also, iOS 6 just released and there is still not a more efficient way to close multi-tasking apps... Still tap one by one. And Apple wonders why people jailbreak their devices. Also, the folders can still only hold 12 items. They need to just add scrolling to folders already like Infini-folders. I'm not sure how nobody in the development team could use more than 12 apps in a folder. It's bad when you have 2-3 folders for the same type of apps because one folder can only hold 12 items.

I had infini-folders installed at one point when I was jailbroken. I was not impressed. It was extremely buggy and would often lag when trying to scroll.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's one thing to exclude the 3GS from a lot of features, but I can't believe the iPhone 4 is so much less capable of running some of the things that the iPhone 4S can. Ok, Siri was used to differentiate the 4 and 4S, but no flyover or turn-by-turn in maps? I'd love to know the technical reasons for this..though I suspect it's purely marketing as the OP said..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.