Opening encrypted files off a USB key

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have had this issue for a while but need to resolve it soon.

I have a USB key with a bunch of files I use on a regular basis. I often open and edit these files on my work IBM Thinkpad. When I save the files back to the USB, they are automatically encrypted with something I think is called 'DGCipher'. I enter a p/w and the file saves.

I have no problem emailing these files to others and can open them on other Windows machines right from my USB key so long as I enter the p/w.

Now I am trying to open these files on my relatively new MacBook Air. I have Microsoft Office installed on the MacBook but any of these files that are encrypted will not open. I get a message along the lines of:
'This file may have been created in an application that is not compatible with Excel. To save the file in a different format, click Cancel, open the file in the application that is was created in, and then save it in a format that is compatible with Excel, such as CSV.' If I just say OK and open it, it's all encrypted gibberish.

I can open files off my USB that were never opened or edited on the ThinkPad so I know its not a problem with the Office suite, it has to be the encryption / p/w protection on the files.

Does anybody know how I may open these files and work with them on my Mac now??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to decrypt the files (remove the encryption) before you can open them with MS Office 2011 on your MBA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.