Problems with some programs (adobe CS5, microsoft office 2011)

Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined a few minutes ago, and this is a terrible way to start off, but unfortunately, I have problems. I have a Macbook Pro from 2009 with the Snow Leopard OS, running at 2gb ram, and I've had problems in the past with it (had to replace the keyboard), but today I just noticed that the aforementioned programs in the thread title do not work for me anymore. I tried opening up Word, and Powerpoint since I use those a lot. It goes all the way to the logo for each on-screen, then I get a Microsoft Error Report program open up, and no matter how many times I try to reopen, it's the same thing.

With Adobe, it goes to the logo, loads up some stuff, but crashes. I checked my fonts, as I've had a problem with that earlier this year, and I fixed all the minor issues, but I still get crashes.

I used disk utility and it passed, everything seemed ok. I did it twice for safety's sake.

So, now I do a Verify Disk Permissions and a long row of of them show up. I'll post it here..now keep in mind, I know NOTHING about computers, other than how to work on them with my programs, like a regular consumer.

Anyway, this is the Verify Disk Permissions report.

No code has to be inserted here.

I did one earlier today, repaired it, but the problem persists.

What should I do? Take it in?

I also changed my router settings abou two weeks ago from WPA to WPA2. I've had that lock-screen message a few times where it says restart the computer and last night while I was working, I noticed the Mac was heating up, creating that loud fan noise and getting very hot. I didn't turn it off immediately, is that linked to this problem? This is the first time I've ever had it.

Edit: Here is the completed report for Verify Permissions

Still having the same problems. Powerpoint, Word and Illustrator are crashing. But Photoshop, Audition and Primiere Pro are opening just fine and working. Could it be a simple issue of me uninstalling and installing it again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can ignore the permissions errors. Those are normal. As for Adobe and Office crashing, that's a different matter. Post back which Mac you have, year and model, and what version of OS X it's running and we can go from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back your specs. I see you already ran Disk Utility and it found no errors on the hard drive. Did you boot from your Snow Leopard DVD to run Disk Utility? I should mention one thing... Both Adobe CS and Microsoft Office need memory and disk space. I'm assuming you have at least 4 GB of system memory and plenty of hard drive space left for them?

If all else fails and as a last resort, you might try a reinstall of Snow Leopard. Reinstalling Snow Leopard does not remove your documents or data, it just overwrites its system files. If you decide to reinstall, make a backup first.

I would recommend reinstalling MS Office 2011 but it's a royal pain to completely remove it which must be done prior to reinstalling. I don't know anything about Adobe CS so someone else will have to advise you about that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Nope, 2 gb of memory on DDR3

And I ran Verify Disk from the desktop method, not on the DVD. I'll have to try that.

But thank you for the reply, appreciate it.

Do you want me to post the report I got for MS Office?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, run the Disk Utility verify and repair from your SL DVD. You can't adequately check the hard drive while it's mounted. You can include the MS error if you like but from past experience with Office errors, they don't always make a whole lot of sense.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'll post a portion of it, because the rest completely jumbled. However, there is one thing I noticed about both crash reports (from Office and Illustrator), they all have this
EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Again, those are excerpts taken from the report.

And I don't know if this has anything to do with my problems, but this week, my Firefox would constantly crash and the problem would fix itself only after I restarted. I was getting a screen flicker, and then it would freeze on me. But it's not doing that. I'm very suspicious that it might be my RAM.

But I'll do a scan with the DVD, I'll get back to you the latest tomorrow or day after as a family member is borrowing the install DVD for their Mac.

But thanks again for your help.

C

chas_m

Both MS Office and Adobe CS programs have to be reinstalled from the purchased DVD if you've restored your system from a clone or Time Machine backup. They sometimes need to be reinstalled if you've done a system update.

OP
C
Reaction score
Update: Just fixed it. No re-installation, instead, I deleted the preferences folders for Office 2011 and Office 2008, but not Illustrator. I did a software update, installed it, restarted and everything works fine now. It's actually a security update called 2012-0004 that I needed to install. And deleting the preferences folders as previously mentioned. I hope it stays this way.

Thanks again for the replies and help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. The MS security update is just now getting to users. I made an announcement of its availability in the OS X Apps and Games forum. It's MS Office 2011 security update - critical - 14.2.4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.