• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

convert mp3 player to hard drive for power book g4

H

hup234

I'm a newbie to this forum, and would appreciate your guidance.

I was given a new 20gb Dell XMP3 player. It's a sad cousin to the IPod which I already own. So, I'm wondering whether it can be converted to an external hard drive for my powerbook g4 running Tiger.

Finder didn't recognize the player when I plugged in its usb cable.

Any ideas?

Pls advise if this post would be more appropriate on another forum

Thanks

Hup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you checked the Rio site for compatibility and use with Mac OS X?

OP
H

hup234

baggss said:
Have you checked the Rio site for compatibility and use with Mac OS X?

I'm pretty sure that the Dell mp3 player is not compatible with mac. I'm wondering whether I can re-configure it to make it compatible. What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My guess is that if you plug in player and it doesn't mount as a drive by itself, the Mac is not recognizing it for whatever reason. Is there any setting on the player itself or in the documentation on how to set it up as a Drive? Have you looked at Disc utilities to see if the drive shows up there?

OP
H

hup234

baggss said:
My guess is that if you plug in player and it doesn't mount as a drive by itself, the Mac is not recognizing it for whatever reason. Is there any setting on the player itself or in the documentation on how to set it up as a Drive? Have you looked at Disc utilities to see if the drive shows up there?
Just checked Disk Utility. I doesn't show up. No available documentation on the subject, and it's not listed as an option in the Dell's settings.
Good suggestions. Pls keep em coming.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.