No internet on ethernet port

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So here's my deal, I've got a 2011 Macbook Pro and I cannot connect to the internet through my ethernet port. I'm using DHCP and I do get a good ip, but no connectivity. I'm getting

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE):

Any ideas? It happens on all networks I try to connect to. Airport works fine but I can't use wireless everywhere I go.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What IP address are you getting when you are connected? Is it something other than 169.254.xxx.xxx? Where are you seeing this particular error?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using any security or VPN software by any chance? A quick search online suggests that this is a common problem for those who use such software.

OP
H
Reaction score
So, when I turn the ethernet off then back on, it works.

I was getting a 192.....address. I know 169. addresses are APIPA private addresses. that's why it didn't make sense to me.

No security, VPN, or anything and it happens at multiple locations(home, friends' homes, work, etc).

Any ideas as to why I would need to disable ethernet and re-enable it like that? Especially because it's getting a good address the first time through DHCP. When I re-enable, I get the same address anyway. So weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.