Need help re time machine & OSX 10.6.8

Reaction score
My iMac is still running Snow Leopard as I am very happy with it and actually prefer it to Lion which is on my MBA. Anyway, my iMac recently had a problem where it wouldn't finish booting up and instead showed a status bar which took around 20 minutes to complete then the round rotating circle of lines (not the rainbow one). It just wouldn't go into the OS after that. Luckily I still had 3 remaining months of Applecare and so took it into the Apple store where I was told it might be solved by a hard drive erase and reinstalling Snow Leopard, and if that didn't work they would install a new hard drive. Turns out the reinstall was all it needed.

So here is my problem now. I have it back, have set it up from a time machine backup, and now time machine says it can not complete a backup. My iMac's hard drive is 1TB, and my WD Mac Formatted Time Machine backup hard drive is also a 1TB. My understanding of the time machine backups was that it kept writing over itself while backing up. However, this is the message I keep getting:
Time Machine could not complete the backup.
This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 588.61 GB but only 501.92 GB are available.
Time Machine needs work space onthe backup disk, in addition to the space required to store backups. open Time Machine preferences to select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files.

Why did the Time Machine backups work ok before the hard drive problem and not now? Is there any way to get this to work without buying another hard drive?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My guess is that Time Machine has created a second bundle for the backup and is leaving the original one intact. This probably makes sense due to the new installation of Snow Leopard, it must be somehow mark things indicating this is somehow different than the Snow Leopard that already installed.

One option is to erase the old bundle on the backup drive if you are certain you have everything you need/want on your iMac right now.

But before doing anything, I'd wait for other opinions and the best step forward..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.