Best email account to use

Reaction score
Been having problems getting my hotmail to sync with my mac ever since i got it. Its sycnced fine with my iphone 4.
And as i seem to be getting more and more crap maybe its time to get a new account. Whats best so I can put mails in to folders from my mac or iphone and have it reflected on both.
Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Personally I favour gmail. Works well cross-platform, IMAP support, exchange support, two-factor security.

But I'm sure other will have their own preferences. US posted have previously complained about advertising in the email body, but I don't get that here in the UK so I can't say whether that's still the case in the US.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Hotmail uses POP, while others like GMail and Yahoo use IMAP and you can do the folder level synchronization with the latter as opposed to the former.

I use GMail as my primary service and have since it was announced. Their spam filters are very good and keep out most, if not all, of the junk from my inbox.

Reaction score
A heads-up here ... after you initiate your GMail account, you'll have to go into to Settings on the GMail web site to enable IMAP for the account. Without doing that you won't be able to use as you had described.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be real careful initiating IMAP in GMail. The instructions have been changed around a bit and Apple Mail versions 5 and 6 are not listed in the configuration settings. You'll need to use the settings for "other" instead. And... most important! Backup your mail first before setting up IMAP to prevent any losses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2010 2.4GHz 2GB 10.8.1 iPhone 3GS
I use Gmail also, and have found it very convenient.

Up until a few days ago, when I deleted an email on one device, it stayed on the other. This I put this down to a problem with Gmail. Then iCloud had an "outage" and now deleting on one device causes a deletion on the other.

Humble apologies Mr. Gmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
D
Reaction score
So i have set up Gmail and its all fin on the Mac. Works fine on the iPhone as well except it dosent update like it used to with hotmail. Although this was before the change to IOS6 so im not sure whats causing it gmail or iOS6.
Basically it dosent bring up new emails automatically like a text message. I have to open the app for it to refresh, which isnt the biggest deal ever just annoying me a little. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you set it up as per my link above?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah just followed the instructions again. Just have to refresh by pulling the menu down when i open mail. Dosent really matter just annoying more than anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah just followed the instructions again. Just have to refresh by pulling the menu down when i open mail. Dosent really matter just annoying more than anything.

That's really strange. If you've setup using the exchange settings rather than standard gmail and you've setup gmail to use imap you should get your mail pushed to you.

Check your Mail folders to push is set to inbox in your mail settings and that you have disabled notifications for mail

OP
D
Reaction score
Just had another play and for some reason it was set to fetch manually for better battery life. Must have been a change of settings in iOS6 as i didnt change that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.