Best connection for MBP to external monitor?

Reaction score
OP
F
Reaction score
Just spoken to Apple support, and they say go for either HDMI or DVI, and the only difference is that HDMI carries sound as well.

This would be useful as I could hook it up to the TV as well, but hopefully the monitor display would be just as good with this rather than DVI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
To answer the question is your thread title - If monitor has display port then a mini-displayport to displayport cable will give you the simplest and cheapest connection.

But you go on to mention a TV, so if you're looking for most versatile connection then a mini-displayport to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable is the way to go

OP
F
Reaction score
To answer the question is your thread title - If monitor has display port then a mini-displayport to displayport cable will give you the simplest and cheapest connection.

But you go on to mention a TV, so if you're looking for most versatile connection then a mini-displayport to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable is the way to go

Thanks for the reply :)

According to Apple the HDMI will give better quality so I'm thinking that's probably the way to go.

Just ordered my MBP, and will probably go for this cable option: Cable Matters Gold Plated Premium Mini DisplayPort to: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'll check out the displayport options now though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The quality, both being digital, will be identical between displayport and HDMI

OP
F
Reaction score
The quality, both being digital, will be identical between displayport and HDMI

OK, thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Just checked the printed documentation (aimed at 5 year old children, it seems) and it didn't have a picture (they don't do words, too complicated) of an HDMI port and after hefting the **** thing off the desk and checking it appears the online documentation doesn't match my model. Thanks HP, nice one.

OP
F
Reaction score
MBP arrived yesterday and adapter today. I bought this one in the end (they've just dropped the price to under £2!) Proxima Direct® Mini Displayport to DVI Adapter for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics and it does the job fine. I notice the resolution isn't as sharp as using my PC with the monitor, but my old monitor/MBP seemed to have the same issues so maybe it's a limitation of the MBP card, or maybe they're just fuzzier than PC's.

Reaction score
HDMI cables can suddenly "go bad" for no really obvious reason. I'd avoid HDMI if I had any other alternative that wasn't a lot more expensive.

That said - I recently bought one of these to connect a computer to a TV - it's in my PO Box right now, but I'm at the ER with my wife at the moment. I'll pick it up on the way home.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OC6LWM/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable, 6 feet : $5.17

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.