mds accessing second HDD in SSD/HDD set up.

Reaction score
Looking for some help here with my new SSD/HDD set up in my mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13".

I installed evertything and it's all working and mounting but am having issues with the HDD not going to sleep.

I've been googling all day, and tried searching on the site but haven't seemed to come up with anything that has worked...

I have set the HDD to be my media drive with photos and Music, that's all that is on the drive.

The HDD keeps constantly spinning, will not go to sleep even though sleep is eneabled, at 1 minute, that drive is marked as private in Spotlight preferences to keep spotlight from accessing it, I also did this through terminal. The thing just keeps spinning.

I have tried unmounting the drive and it goes silent... for 10 seconds then spins up again and doesn't stop.

I have run a few commands like for example "sudo lsof lgrep /Volumes/Mediadrive" then enter my password and get the following:

Finder 156 jesseabernethy 11r DIR 1,6 136 9
5 /Volumes/Mediadrive/ .Trashes/503
mds 328 root 7r DIR 1,6 442
2 /Volumes/Mediadrive

So I think if I understand correctly that spotlight is still accessing my drive.

I also rebuild my spotlight index to see if it was corrupt or something..

All I want is the drive to only spin up when I need anything on it otherwise it should be sleeping..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Edit: I'm using the latest OSX Mountain Lion version BTW)

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.