Considering buying a Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive bay):

Reaction score
I am considering buying a PowerMac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) computer, the January 2003 revision with firewire 800, and 167MHz FSB.

I will buy this old computer for the fun factor, and will probably run 10.5 on it and for the **** of it, install 10.2 or something and make a 100GB partition for that. I will use it for storage as well as an internet computer.
Things I will install:
> RAM: 2GB
> CPU: Dual 1.8/5GHz kit purchased online
> HD drive 1: 1TB SATA drive with a SATA to ATA100 convertor. (a 500GB IDE interface drive from seagate costs $500 on ebay. decided to just get a convertor, probably enough space to fit one in the computer)
> HD drive 2: 1TB SATA drive with a SATA to ATA100 convertor. (a 500GB IDE interface drive from seagate costs $500 on ebay. decided to just get a convertor, probably enough space to fit one in the computer)
> I will place some fans on the harddrives.

Things I have questions on:
> PCI slot 1: Can somebody send me an amazon link to a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card compatible with this mac?
> PCI slot 2: Can somebody send me an amazon link to a proper airport extreme g card? Can netgear cards with 802.11n be in the PCI cards?
> AGP 4X slot: Due to this ancient standard, what is the biggest, most powerful graphics card I could get for this slot that is compatible with this computer?
> PCI slot 3: I'm pretty unsatisfied at the 2GB limit, are there anyways to plug in more RAM with the PCI slot? (NOT for storage, for it's intended purpose).

Thanks to those who still remember these machines, and can help me on this endeavor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Looking at all the money your are going to throw at it, get an Intel iMac or Mac Pro.

OP
A
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Looking at all the money your are going to throw at it, get an Intel iMac or Mac Pro.

I need a PowerPC computer because I need to run os 9 on it. This is only a media server. I need more than one harddrive.

Intel iMac: I need more than one harddrive.
Mac Pro: These still go for $500, and still need a harddrive.

How about a PowerMac G5? I heard they're terribly loud, but at least they have SATA and USB2.0, and will I be able to install a USB3.0 express card on these? What is the harddrive size limit on the last 2005 model?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.