iMac shutdown causes emergency shutdown of UPS

Reaction score
I can't find a single instance of this when googling, so thought I would try here. When I either perform a shutdown of my iMac, or set the default to bootcamp and re-boot, it automatically triggers an emergency shutdown on my CyberPower UPS. The UPS displays "2 minutes to shutdown", and then it shuts off. This is really inconvenient, particularly when re-booting to bootcamp, as it's about enough time for Window to be up and running when the power drops. It also hammers all my external drives, office phone, etc. If I restart from OSX to OSX, it works fine. If I restart from Windows to Windows or from Windows to OSX, it works fine. I have emailed CyberPower tech support, and they are blaming the iMac, since it only happens when coming out of OSX. If I unplug the USB cable to the UPS just before shutdown or re-boot, then everything is fine. CyberPower recommends this as the solution.

Has anyone heard of or experienced this? I'm wondering if there is a "tweak" somewhere that is telling the UPS to shutdown. I'd like to be able to tweak it the other way. Yes, I can unplug the cable to the UPS when I re-boot, but that isn't really a "solution". Any ideas?? :\ Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which model "CyberPower UPS" do you have? I've been using mine now for over a year on my iMac without any difficulty at all. I have mine set for shut down 5 minutes after a power failure.

I have model CP625HG.

As far as a "Tweak" goes, you should have a wide range of options for the CyberPower listed under your "Energy Saver" feature of System Preferences. Just click on the "UPS" tab. You need to set the auto shutdown for a longer period of time.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Which model "CyberPower UPS" do you have? I've been using mine now for over a year on my iMac without any difficulty at all. I have mine set for shut down 5 minutes after a power failure.

I have model CP625HG.

As far as a "Tweak" goes, you should have a wide range of options for the CyberPower listed under your "Energy Saver" feature of System Preferences. Just click on the "UPS" tab. You need to set the auto shutdown for a longer period of time.

Mine is a 1500PFCLCD (supposed to be good with iMac due to sine wave). I have it set to shut down when there is 5 minutes remaining on battery power. It will normally keep everything running for 22 minutes. However, that's the stupid part. It works fine in the event of a power failure. Keeps everything up and running til the power comes back on. The problem is happening when it's not on battery power. It's plugged in and the power is fine. It shouldn't be doing an auto shutdown at all. It's shutting down simply because I select "shutdown" or "restart" on the iMac. It completely ignores all energy saver settings and sets the countdown to 2 minutes. I think it's supposed to be a power saving feature, or something. It figures you don't need it with your Mac turned off, so it shuts down to save power. I was just hoping there was some way to turn off this "feature". I would like the UPS to always stay on if there is power. Couldn't find anything in the preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
May not help, but run an iBox with an iMac, and under System Preferences > Eenergy Saver > UPS there are options to set closing down etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was just hoping there was some way to turn off this "feature". I would like the UPS to always stay on if there is power. Couldn't find anything in the preferences.

You have the "big daddy" CyberPower UPS with the extra options. I'm not sure you can reset the shutdown timer but I know one thing..... if you're updating firmware or doing an OS X update, you might want to remove your machine from the UPS first. Sometimes there can be a long delay in rebooting during firmware updates or OS X updates and you definitely don't want the machine to shut down during one of those.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
You have the "big daddy" CyberPower UPS with the extra options. I'm not sure you can reset the shutdown timer but I know one thing..... if you're updating firmware or doing an OS X update, you might want to remove your machine from the UPS first. Sometimes there can be a long delay in rebooting during firmware updates or OS X updates and you definitely don't want the machine to shut down during one of those.

Ya, I went a bit large. I wasn't sure, at the time, how much power my Promise Pegasus R6 and Mediasonic RAID boxes would draw, so wanted to be safe. As it turns out, I'm plenty safe. They don't draw as much as I thought. I'm pulling about 340w with 27" iMac, 27" TBD, two 12TB RAID boxes, my speaker system, an 8 port usb hub, an HDD dock, and my desk phone.

As for it shutting down, all I have to do is unplug the usb cable and then it never drops. Somehow the iMac is "telling" it to shut down. I re-wired the usb cable from it so that it's connected to the usb hub right in front of me, so it's pretty easy to "disable" it. It still seems like there should be a better way.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
May not help, but run an iBox with an iMac, and under System Preferences > Eenergy Saver > UPS there are options to set closing down etc.

I do have the UPS and Energy Saver options, but they basically all apply to what it does AFTER a power failure or incident. My problem is that an OSX manual shutdown or restart is actually triggering the UPS as if it thinks there just was a power failure (even though there wasn't).

These are the options I see:

energysaveroptions.png

upsshutdownoptions.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.