Speakers not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
MBP ,13", early 2011

The tip of a 3.5mm audio plug broke off in the jack. I have read there is a red light when the laptop recognizes a headphone input and switches to headphone mode, but I do not see where the red light is. Can somebody explain where to find this light [as verification].

Firstly, is there a way to 'definitely' determine if this is the issue? is so, does anybody have any ideas on how to remove the tip. Cannot access it by removing the back cover and I tried a drop of superglue and 'ever so carefully' tried to remove it -- no joy. The Apple store associate could only offer to replace the logic board [for $300-500].

Working fine prior to this issue. Should an option for the speakers show up in Sound [in system preferences]?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
The red light is on when it goes into Optical Audio mode and would be seen through the headphone jack. If there is a tip still stuck in there that would probably stop both the headphones and the speakers from working properly. Last time I had someone bring me one with a tip stuck in there I used a small torx screw driver with a dab of superglue and lowered it in letting the glue harden for about a minute and it popped right out. Maybe something similar could work for you?

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.