Is The iPad Worth It?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
I just bought a MacBook Pro, but I've also started looking in to iPad 2's because they're much cheaper than "The New" iPad. It's like $400 or so. Anyways, I would use the MacBook more at home, and the iPad at school. Is it worth it? Or, is it even necessary?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just bought a MacBook Pro, but I've also started looking in to iPad 2's because they're much cheaper than "The New" iPad. It's like $400 or so. Anyways, I would use the MacBook more at home, and the iPad at school. Is it worth it? Or, is it even necessary?

Search, search, search. We get this exact question from laptop owners all the time!;) We've been getting this question for over 2.5 years (since the iPad 1's were released). Same question…same answers.:)

- Nick

p.s. Here's a thread to get you started:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/283870-buy-ipad-not-buy.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB

I have a MacBook issued by my school, and an iPad, and I love having both. If you're on a budget, I think the iPad 2 is the way to go. If you are going to be doing a lot of keyboarding, you might be better off using the MacBook Pro at school though; most people don't like taking notes on the iPad.

C

chas_m

With a BT keyboard case the iPad can be an ideal school machine. I love my iPad (the 2012 version), never owned the iPad 2 but I did previously have the iPad (original). Great machines, solid as a rock, so incredibly versatile.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a MacBook issued by my school, and an iPad, and I love having both. If you're on a budget, I think the iPad 2 is the way to go. If you are going to be doing a lot of keyboarding, you might be better off using the MacBook Pro at school though; most people don't like taking notes on the iPad.
That's a good point. Or maybe, like you said, I could use it the opposite way. The Macbook Pro for my note taking and homework and my iPad for browsing the internet or whatever. Thank you for the feedback!

With a BT keyboard case the iPad can be an ideal school machine. I love my iPad (the 2012 version), never owned the iPad 2 but I did previously have the iPad (original). Great machines, solid as a rock, so incredibly versatile.
Do you have "The New" iPad? Thanks for your input!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I purchased a BT keyboard for my iPad 3rd generation from Amazon for $44. Well worth the price if you intend to do a lot of typing on your iPad. The Amazon keyboard has a small footprint but yet comfortable to use. It's thin enough to fit in my carry case that I bought for the iPad. Here's the LINK for the keyboard.

C

chas_m

Yes, I sold my original iPad and bought a "New" iPad on the day it came out. For me it's been terrific, and it has become incredibly popular at my presentations (which are usually more Mac-centric).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased a BT keyboard for my iPad 3rd generation from Amazon for $44. Well worth the price if you intend to do a lot of typing on your iPad. The Amazon keyboard has a small footprint but yet comfortable to use. It's thin enough to fit in my carry case that I bought for the iPad. Here's the LINK for the keyboard.
Oh, that isn't too bad. I was expecting that it'd be more like $80 or so. I'll definitely look into it.

Yes, I sold my original iPad and bought a "New" iPad on the day it came out. For me it's been terrific, and it has become incredibly popular at my presentations (which are usually more Mac-centric).
That's what I was thinking; using the iPad as for that kind of stuff. I could just create everything on my MacBook, and run it to my iPad via iCloud, and I'll be able to everything from there.

Reaction score
I have owned two Ipad's. My main complaint was the size and weight and the lack of a BlueTooth mouse support.
I recently purchased a ASUS/Nexus 7, 7" screen and it supports bluetooth mouse and Keyboard. If the smaller Ipad was available I probably would have bought that one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure why you think you need a BT mouse on an iPad? I'm a bit old fashioned myself and still use a wired mouse on my iMac, but even I don't feel the need for a mouse on my 9" iPad. And can not possibly see how useful it would be on the 7" Nexus? To each his own.... :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IOS does not support a mouse as it's a full touch screen device and none is needed either. Now an external keyboard is nice though and fully supported!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

That's only a question you can answer for yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11 inch 2012, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S(soon to be iphone5), iPad 4g/wifi.
I use my iPad every day. In my mind it has more than paid for itself already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.