Toast Titanium

Reaction score
I have an HD camcorder and an HD television. When I run video thru' toast titanium the
quality doesn't seem as good as it should be. I have an older version. Do you find that
the new versions of Toast Titanium produce DVDs with high definition quality? Or maybe
there's a better program altogether. thank you for any thoughts.
John Church
Mac OS 10.7.4
Canon Vixia HF 11 camera

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't have an answer for you here, but I am subscribing in the hopes that someone chimes in with experience as I have often wondered the same. This is most noticeable when I need to compress video to fit a DVD - the quality often suffers more than it should, compared to some of the other compression programs I've seen in Windows.

I have Toast Titanium 10 and am hesitant to upgrade as it still works just fine - and of course, Roxio's upgrade price is pretty high, considering the program doesn't really change all that much from the previous versions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just did a video for a friend and for me. Same video. Used the old now discontinued Visual Hub for mine and Toast for his as I wanted it to compress and burn. I compared the videos before I gave my friend his DVD and the one I did with Visual Hub looked a lot clearer. That was the first time I did the same video in both apps and compared. I could see the difference from across the room on my 27" Sony WEGA. I had everything set to highest quality on both applications.

My friend does a lot of video and always has me compress and burn. Not sure what is up, but I have found that nothing compresses and keeps the quality like Virtual Hub did/does. I am glad I bought it before they went under.

I am also using Toast 10.

BTW this video my friend did was VERY clean and HD. It looked amazing before it was compressed with Toast. With VH I could hardly see a difference.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh, throwing around the name VisualHub is like rubbing salt in a wound, Dennis!

Honestly can not understand why that developer doesn't just sell off the source and let someone else take the reigns. It's an awesome piece of software that I, unfortunately, didn't get in on before they slammed the door shut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
sad they dumped it. will not mention it anymore.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Maybe you have heard of it, or have it already... but there is a nice alternative to VisualHub (sorry to mention it again :p).
Its called 'RoadMovie', and it acts, smells, and feels like... uuh well, you know, it.

Bitfield AB

SM

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reason I mentioned it is for a comparison and showing that Toast while shrinking is hurting the quality. If I just said another application then people would have asked which one. :D

OP
J
Reaction score
MightyGem: Yep, I'm using the Mac drive to burn the discs. Would you have a better suggestion?
Thanks!
John Church

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Yep, I'm using the Mac drive to burn the discs. Would you have a better suggestion?
Thanks!
The Mac Superdrive will only produce dvds at the standard dvd resolution, as per my previous post. If you want HD dvds, you will have to use an external BluRay/HD dvd burner to burn your Toast projects.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.