iphone purchase?

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums. Have been Mac guy since SE, now have ipad 1, iphone for wife, and newest imac.
Droid phone is dying and at end of contract, so shopping.
Like some droid features--swype texting, step by step directions, and voice search.

Is there an advantage to buying iphone 4S or 5 because of imac and wife iphone 4?

Thanks,

Doug :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi, new to the forums. Have been Mac guy since SE, now have ipad 1, iphone for wife, and newest imac.
Like some droid features--swype texting, step by step directions, and voice search.

Is there an advantage to buying iphone 4S or 5 because of imac and wife iphone 4?

Thanks,

Doug :)

Depends really on the features you use. I use notes a lot, the automatic syncing between iPad, iPhone and my Macs is a feature I really appreciate.

Syncing contacts etc is nice too. Also, all those APPs that will work on both iPad and iPhone. And, if you share an iTunes account with your wife (I do) you purchase once for APPs, music etc.

C

chas_m

iPhones don't have swype texting (thank heavens -- I find that people who tend to use it the most are the sort who don't think it affects their DRIVING!!).

The iPhone has (or at least will on Wednesday) turn-by-turn, spoken GPS.

The Google search app for iOS has had voice search for years. Siri also does most common types of searches.

Holy cow, where do I begin?? :)

Simply put, yes. There are significant advantages. Really too numerous to list, but for starters you can take a tour of the features of iOS 5 or 6 and the iPhone itself on Apple's webpages. While I could easily spend 1,000 words (not kidding, btw -- just wrote an article on the new iPhone) on the features you'll gain, I'll start with three:

1. A vastly superior App Store, with vastly superior apps.
2. The ability to sync most common forms of information with your computer and wife's phone.
3. iMessage. This last one in particular is HUGE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.