MacBook Air keyboard backlight

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought MacBook Air 3 months ago.

(OS X version 10.8.1, 1.8GHz i5, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3)

Initially I didn't pay attention to the backlit keyboards and kept it on even in plenty of ambient light. I did sometime use the F5 and F6 to control its intensity, and it was quite bright until.. Yesterday I turned the backlight completely off when there was enough light around, and then now even when I set the control to max, the keyboard doesn't get as bright as it used to be (not even when it's completely dark). :(

I guess initially the 'Auto keyboard brightness' was not active, although it was selected in the setting, as I never noticed it changing the brightness depending on light. Now it does respond. Probably something happened to the default brightness of keyboard LEDs.

Any suggestions how to fix this, from terminal or anything else?

Thanks in advance!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller). See the following Apple KB article: LINK

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If that didn't work (standard fix), it's time to make an appointment with Apple and have it looked at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.