• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Writing in HD

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone help please I am fast losing the will to live, it started with buying a new Panasonic HD camera and thinking I could import and write HD on my MacBook (2007). Well I now know that mac doesn't like the hd format and iDVD won't write HD oh and I also need a bluray writer.
Can anyone tell me if I upgrade to Lion (in order to get iMovie 11 ) will I lose iDVD, I love iDVD is there anything out there similar that can do hd or am I asking the impossible of my old but perfectly good machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
iDVD is no longer included with Lion or Mountain Lion. You can use the free Burn open source application or purchase Roxio Toast.

C

chas_m

Hello, can anyone help please I am fast losing the will to live, it started with buying a new Panasonic HD camera and thinking I could import and write HD on my MacBook (2007). Well I now know that mac doesn't like the hd format and iDVD won't write HD oh and I also need a bluray writer.
Can anyone tell me if I upgrade to Lion (in order to get iMovie 11 ) will I lose iDVD, I love iDVD is there anything out there similar that can do hd or am I asking the impossible of my old but perfectly good machine.

I think the real problem here is that, if I may be blunt, you don't really understand what a DVD is.

DVDs are in standard definition format. They don't use HD (unless it's been converted down to SD first).

If you've shot and editing something in HD, the thing you want to do is post it (privately if you prefer) to a site like Vimeo or YouTube (et al).

If you really want a disc, you're going to have to give up iDVD (it can't do HD. Period, end of story) and use a program that can build and burn a Blu-Ray disc. You'll also of course need a Blu-Ray burner.

Though I think iMovie 11 is a HUGELY better program than earlier versions, earlier versions (all the way back to iMovie 6!) can edit HD footage. The Mac likes HD footage just fine, but it doesn't have any magical way of making DVDs take HD footage any more than a PC does.

If you want to use iDVD, convert your HD footage to SD in Apple Intermediate Codec, edit in in iMovie, hand it over to iDVD which will convert it to MPEG-2 for the resulting DVD.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks very much for your reply, it puts it all into context, I have resigned myself to SD for the time being I have converted my footage to be able to import to imovie 11, however my IDVD will now not work and I have been unable to reinstall from my instalation disks any thoughts
Karen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.