IPhone 5 signal/reception strength

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
Has anyone heard anything about the antenna(s) signal/reception on the 5?
The 4S was considered a good phone for rural areas - in Australia - probably elsewhere as well. Wondering if the 5 has continued with this atribute or if there have been changes?

Have been skimming through all the "guff" but have not turned any info' up as yet.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From what I have heard from several sources is it's like the 4s but even better antenna wise. Something about auto switching for best reception.

If you are concerned, wait for the Anandtech review on the IP5 as he and his partner always cover the antenna performance.

C

chas_m

Also bear in mind that a LOT of what people PERCEIVE as "antenna" issues are in fact CARRIER issues or, in some cases, environmental issues.

OP
Blazbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for the prompt replies crew.
Will keep an eye out for Anandtech and watch the carriers...

Onyas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanx for the prompt replies crew.
Will keep an eye out for Anandtech and watch the carriers...

Onyas!

Just stay with Telstra. Im 300kms Sth/East Perth and the only carrier worth having in the country is Telstra. Not so much the Phone but ill bet the 5 willbe as good as the 4s

OP
Blazbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep no worries - already with Telstra. Working in western Qld. See phones drop out a lot. Out that way 99% of phones are on Telstra. So I see old IPhones struggle sometimes, then saw a 4S in a building - next to a 4, and signal was OK. So if I go to a "smart phone" the 4S is the benchmark at this stage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.