Pinwheel on screen-Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
I have noticed lately that when I bring my iMac out of the sleep mode that the screen save image will appear and then a small rainbow colored pinwheel will appear that is spinning, then it will go to my desktop. Has anyone seen this, do I have a problem, is there a cure for it. I am still running the Leopard OS, which was originally in it when I bought it new. Thanks in advance.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
I have noticed lately that when I bring my iMac out of the sleep mode that the screen save image will appear and then a small rainbow colored pinwheel will appear that is spinning, then it will go to my desktop. Has anyone seen this, do I have a problem, is there a cure for it. I am still running the Leopard OS, which was originally in it when I bought it new. Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are a bunch if reasons that can cause this. But without writing a dissertation...try these two things:

1. Restarting/rebooting the computer occasionally...(not just putting it to "sleep" all the time). By "occasionally" I mean more than you're currently doing.
2. Download a program called "Onyx"...and run the preselected/automated tasks.

Titanium's Software Onyx

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. For more info...read the "Beachballs" link in my signature.

M

MacInWin

The pinwheel is just the "I'm busy" signal to you. Could be that it's waiting for the hard drive to spin up, or WiFi to reconnect, etc. Without more information on your exact setup, it's hard to say what is generating the pinwheel.

Reaction score
How long does it take for the iMac to wake?

You could check in energy settings to see if your HDD goes to sleep as well, this might cause it to take longer to wake.

SM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged…no need to double post.

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.