Macbook Pro fans spinning while watching youtube videos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hi, I've noticed lately that whenever I start watching a youtube video on my early 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch i5 with 8gb of ram it starts the fans going. I only have Google Chrome, Skype, and Mail running. It usually never does this but recently it has starting doing it. It stops if I exit out of the youtube video tab or if I pause the video. Btw, I'm running OS X Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
It's entirely possible the passage of time has the electronics now covered with a fine layer of dust and now the cooling system is not as efficient as when it was new. I would carefully, shut down the machine, use a vacuum hose attachment in the attempt to suck out as much dust from the vents without opening the machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
YouTube uses Flash (by default). Flash is a huge resource hog. While I agree with MrBobb about trying to keep the ducts and fans clean, I think you're better off simply switching YouTube to HTML5, which is less intensive.

You can do this here:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To farther back CWA, Flash has been upgraded many times since 2011 and I have noticed here on all my macs and my PC Notebook with Windows 7 even, that the last few updates to Flash have made fans spin a lot more and temps go up and CPU usage is much more than it was a few versions back.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I've noticed lately that whenever I start watching a youtube video on my early 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch i5 with 8gb of ram it starts the fans going. I only have Google Chrome, Skype, and Mail running. It usually never does this but recently it has starting doing it. It stops if I exit out of the youtube video tab or if I pause the video. Btw, I'm running OS X Mountain Lion.

This is absolutely nothing new...totally normal. The fans on all my laptop & desktop Macintosh computers have always kicked into "medium or high gear" whenever watching YouTube videos. And this has been going on for at least the last 5-8 years (probably longer).

You Tube videos and high fans speeds on a Macintosh computer...go together like peanut butter & jelly!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
To farther back CWA, Flash has been upgraded many times since 2011 and I have noticed here on all my macs and my PC Notebook with Windows 7 even, that the last few updates to Flash have made fans spin a lot more and temps go up and CPU usage is much more than it was a few versions back.

Reason why I always turn off all automatic updates. If it's been working fine for me, I have no need to download the latest&greatest, just because they say I should. The latest tend to be bloat-ier than the last version and am not playing the software-needs-more-hardware vicious cycle.

Security? that's another post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.