• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

video converter

Reaction score
hello, can anyone reccommend a video converter please.
I have just purchased a panasonic HD camcorder which is causing imovie to crash.
I need to be able to convert the hd movie to the highest possible quality that is compatible with MAC free would be good but dont mind paying moderate amount given I have just spent £400 on a camera that i cant use on my mac

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What format is the camera saving in? Macs are not limited to one format or another, but some of the software on the Mac will use specific formats (like iMovie). Also, many cameras can write their files in different file types.

So, the trick is to match up the two. What model of camera is it?

Reaction score
convertor

Hi Louishen,
I had exactly the same problem as your having .Firstly do not panic !!!! like i did lol.
I have a panasonic hdctm900 which records 1080p in avchd so needed to convert the files.I purchased roxio toast titanium and the additional HD blueray plugin.This allows me to convert my avchd files to prores422 to work with in fcpx and then when i have finished burn them to dvd or even better blue ray if you have a bluerayburner.I choose to record a hd dvd which which is not blueray but an avchd file that plays on any blue ray player in hd quality...
All the best lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
it is a panasonic HC V700
If you want to import into iMovie, I'm pretty sure that you will have to shoot video in the 540/25p mode that your camcorder offers, as iMovie doesn't support the 50p/50i HD modes.

If you want to shoot in 1080, then you'll need something like ClipWrap to change your footage to a Quicktime. Use the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) option, as this is what iMovie is optimsed for.

OP
G
Reaction score
converter

Hi Louishen,
I had exactly the same problem as your having .Firstly do not panic !!!! like i did lol.
I have a panasonic hdctm900 which records 1080p in avchd so needed to convert the files.I purchased roxio toast titanium and the additional HD blueray plugin.This allows me to convert my avchd files to prores422 to work with in fcpx and then when i have finished burn them to dvd or even better blue ray if you have a bluerayburner.I choose to record a hd dvd which which is not blueray but an avchd file that plays on any blue ray player in hd quality...
All the best lee
can you explain this process a bit more please
Karen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.