Sys Profiler says 256 memory, I paid for 512...

D

dna48363

I bought my iMac a day or two ago from the Apple Store and waited two hours while it was upgraded to having 512 memory (instead of the factory-installed 256.) So now I'm at home with it and I look in the System Profiler and it tells me that there is only a 256 "DIMM" installed. I have an empty 512 box that they returned to me and a receipt showing I purchased it. What do you think?

I tried to add a screenshot, but I'm new to Mac...so...

OP
J

jasonr

dna48363 said:
I bought my iMac a day or two ago from the Apple Store and waited two hours while it was upgraded to having 512 memory (instead of the factory-installed 256.) So now I'm at home with it and I look in the System Profiler and it tells me that there is only a 256 "DIMM" installed. I have an empty 512 box that they returned to me and a receipt showing I purchased it. What do you think?

I tried to add a screenshot, but I'm new to Mac...so...
Open it up to see if it's there. Maybe you need to reinstall it.
make sure it snaps in tight and even.

OP
D

dna48363

I did, but I don't think it said 256 or 512 anywhere on it. How would I reinstall it? Sorry, like I said, I'm new to Macs. (I've barely learned copy/paste!)

OP
D

dna48363

Okay I tried removing it and re-inserting it and nothing happened. JSo you know: I checked that the memory I have is indeed the correct type. I'm going to open it once more because I migh not have pushed it in enough (I just saw something in that PDF about the metal tabs.)

OP
D

dna48363

No luck.
Here's what it says in System Profiler.
DIMM0/J22 EMPTY
DIMM1/J20 256MB DDR SDRAM PC2700U-25330

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
dna48363 said:
No luck.
Here's what it says in System Profiler.
DIMM0/J22 EMPTY
DIMM1/J20 256MB DDR SDRAM PC2700U-25330

Thanks for your help!

Honestly, since they were the ones who did the initial install, I'd take the machine back to the store with the receipt, memory box, etc., and explain to them the problem you're having. If the store is far from your house, I'd at the very least give them a call. Just out of curiosity, what does profiler indicate when you completely remove the chip and boot the machine?

OP
D

dna48363

I took out the RAM and started it and the profiler says the exact same thing. So could the memory be bad? Or could the computer be bad? I guess I'll call the store. I hope I don't have to go it..its the day after Thanksgiving and its located in a huge mall!

OP
D

dna48363

I called and they said to bring in the computer in a day or two (because they're very busy today.) However, when I looked online at the store, the memory for the computer I have has a different model number (M9002G/A) than the memory the Apple Online Store says I should buy for my computer. Is it possible I have the wrong memory?

OP
J

jasonr

dna48363 said:
I called and they said to bring in the computer in a day or two (because they're very busy today.) However, when I looked online at the store, the memory for the computer I have has a different model number (M9002G/A) than the memory the Apple Online Store says I should buy for my computer. Is it possible I have the wrong memory?
Sounds like you should demand they put in the proper memory and test it there. Too bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.