ACDSee 2... with 10 GB free cloud storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was just reading about ACDSee 2 for Mac. I was a long time user of their Classic software on Windows and have long missed it on the Mac. This new application looks like it works much like iPhoto, and comes with 10 GB of cloud storage. I must say, this is very tempting. Anyone have any experience with this?
http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-2-mac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think this is the same package (minus the cloud storage) that is in the APP Store. If so I was using it but quit because it hadn't updated to be compatible with Mtn Lion. Will have to check to see if they fixed that.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

Honestly, I would steer clear because their business practices are suspect at best.

I purchased ACDSee through the Mac AP Store and now the page there says Mtn Lion is unsupported (which I had already figured out due to lockups and crashing).

The last update on the MAS was Dec 2011. Since then the company has apparently developed and is offering for sale ACDSee 2 without bothering to update for those like me who have purchased a previous version . . . I don't think so.

They won't see any more of my money with support like that!

EDIT: Was reading some on line reviews and apparently the company has responded to queries stating they do not intend to update the current APP, if you want Mtn Lion compatibilty you have to buy version 2. I guess version 2 will work until Apple does another OS release and then ACDSee will demand more money. ;P

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yeah, I was a little put off by that. I guess the "free" 10 GB storage isn't so free if you have to pay up annually for a new version of the software (assuming you keep up with OS X upgrades). I do have to wonder WHY it isn't ML compatible in the first place. At any rate, I don't feel so compelled to look more into it. Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what about Mtn Lion isn't kosher either. It worked fine in SNL and Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.