Formatted Wrong Partition?

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm right now very frustrated and want to ask for some Advice, I am using a MacBook Pro running Lion. I was trying to boot Windows 7 using Bootcamp and had already partitioned 100 GB for Win using Bootcamp assistent software or however the name was. As I tried running the already outdated Windows-Installation software gave some Error messages saying it couldnt install here so I connected a NFTS formatted HDD but then was told I wouldnt be able to install using a USB connection. However, then I clicked the format button of the Windows software thinking it would only format the partition I chose(and also did click). But without even having Wİndows installed it said there was a error about some offline sent whatevers, I didnt really read it. Another problem was that I was unable to eject the Windows disc as just after the starting up sound of iOS was heard Windows appeared.

However I did manage to eject it just to see a gray screen with a _ at the upper left. I didnt really understand what the problem was and rebooted several times. Later I tried a software called Remo Recovery to at least save our family photos. Didnt work either.

Problem is: I dont have a iOS DVD, Lion was already installed.

1. Is there a way so recover the photos using an CD or anything?
2. Do I have to purchase iOS or can I recover it otherwise?

Thanks for (I hope you can) helping me out.

PS: Im sure something like this was asked before but Im googling for hours now and didnt find anything suitable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Did you format your recovery partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, your machine is not running iOS. That only runs on iPads and iPhones. It's called OS X. As the previous reply hinted.... can you boot to your Recovery Partition? I doubt you formatted that as it's hidden. Reboot your machine and hold down Command + R as soon as you hear the Bong sound. Let us know if you can get into the Recovery Partition and we'll go from there.

OP
B
Reaction score
First, your machine is not running iOS. That only runs on iPads and iPhones. It's called OS X. As the previous reply hinted.... can you boot to your Recovery Partition? I doubt you formatted that as it's hidden. Reboot your machine and hold down Command + R as soon as you hear the Bong sound. Let us know if you can get into the Recovery Partition and we'll go from there.

Did it that way and thank God it worked. Seems like windows didn't overwrite but just rearranged the partition. Disk recovery did the rest.
Thanks again

PS: Was hearing a lot about iOS6 lately. Guess that's why I got confused with the names.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. Glad to hear you're back up and running. Now, start making backups with Time Machine. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.