Help with DirectX & Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB Ram 256GB SSD HDD iPad 3 64GB iPhone 5 16GB
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 4GB Ram 15"
Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1
Windows 7 Home Premium

I have bootcamp going and have installed windows 7. Most things are running on the windows 7 just fine. My issue is with games from places like BigFish and PopCap. They all give me errors saying there is no 3d device. I seemed to remember that most all of those games required DirectX to run in windows. If that is the case here on the Mac as well can anyone tell me how to get DirectX installed and what version I would need to get?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you installed Windows 7 as a dual boot with Boot Camp, you already have DirectX installed. The problem is likely with your graphics adapter. Since you have the MBP 15" model, you have two graphic adapters: HD 3000 and an AMD Radeon. Windows is probably seeing your HD 3000 as the GPU being used instead of the AMD Radeon.

Open Control Panel System, Hardware, and open the hardware tree. Expand the tree and see what it's showing for your graphics adapter.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you installed Windows 7 as a dual boot with Boot Camp, you already have DirectX installed. The problem is likely with your graphics adapter. Since you have the MBP 15" model, you have two graphic adapters: HD 3000 and an AMD Radeon. Windows is probably seeing your HD 3000 as the GPU being used instead of the AMD Radeon.

Open Control Panel System, Hardware, and open the hardware tree. Expand the tree and see what it's showing for your graphics adapter.
If that is the case (which I suspect it is), is there any way to force windows to use the other graphics adapter?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some folks have had luck with first forcing OS X to use the Radeon as the default rather than the HD 3000 and then boot to Windows. Download the free gfxCardStatus utility from here and switch your GPU to the Radeon before booting to Windows.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for the help. I was trying desperately to help a friend with her first Mac. Turns out she had installed a lame emulator instead of doing bootcamp. Once I got that sorted and got her to install bootcamp and windows everything worked perfectly. Gotta love the mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.