Anyway to Get an Idea How Much Data...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Hello-

I tried to order the iPhone 5 last night when the website was up. When I get to Verizon's Data Plan, there is one that pops up and one that is part of the website. If you went through the Pre order and selected Verizon, when you come to selecting the Plan you would see what I mean. I have no idea how much data I need. I would like the Mobile Hotspot and Data for the iPhone. I am not sure of they divide the total amount in half and allow half for the phone and half for the Hotspot. Does anybody have any idea how one gets an idea what size Data Plan they should select? if I just get the Data Plan for the phone and leave out the hotspot, is there a way to get an idea how much data I should get?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The mobile Hotspot is included with the plan. As for how much data you will need depends on your usage. I had the 2 GB with Verizon and could not use it all in one month. That was email, doing forums, and some other minor things. No streaming videos or music. Just a few downloads, etc.

Your usage may be different. If you do a lot of streaming and downloading on your iPhone you'll quickly use up a data allocation. Also, it depends on how many devices you have on the same plan. If you have more than one iPhone or an iPad that you also use, you may need more data.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
The mobile Hotspot is included with the plan. As for how much data you will need depends on your usage. I had the 2 GB with Verizon and could not use it all in one month. That was email, doing forums, and some other minor things. No streaming videos or music. Just a few downloads, etc.

Your usage may be different. If you do a lot of streaming and downloading on your iPhone you'll quickly use up a data allocation. Also, it depends on how many devices you have on the same plan. If you have more than one iPhone or an iPad that you also use, you may need more data.

It is just for me that is why I did not click Sharing, but Individual. I will have one other device which is my MBP but I guess I might get an iPad one day. If you have not been through the Pre Order process on Apple.com, check it out and choose Verizon and you will see what I mean. There is also a way to compare all 3 carriers, which is confusing because the info is different from what you get if you just select Verizon and go through the Plan selection.

If you go to the Apple.com iPhone 5 site and follow the pre order process, when you come to data you will see above at the top of the box 2 links in blue. One is if you want just data for the iPhone and the other link will give you options for data for the iPhone and data for the hotspot. it says the data is divided in half.

Just the way it was set up as you go through the pre order, I assumed Verizon has these 2 different types of plans. The other carriers, if you follow that through the pre order, does not have the 2 links or give one the option that Verizon does (that I saw).

I will use the mobile hotspot for my internet service, and that is where I am not sure what plan to get out of the several that include data for the phone and data for the hotspot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.