A Folder in Finder too many !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi i enjoyed getting away from Windose because i hated Libraries in Windows Explorer.

On my Mac i have recently been unable to find files that i knew i should have, it is only today that that i found i have two Folders with the same name, namely "tim"

Some of my files i have been putting in the /tim/ folder and others i have been putting into /tim/tim/ folder. Today i have been MOVING everything in /tim/tim/ to /tim/ in the hope that i can get rid of this empty folder and get on with my Mac life in a more organised manner !.

However please see the screen shot below, in the nearly empty folder i have some folders/files that look to be fairly sacred to the Operating System

I wonder what harm will i do if i delete them ?

the three folders are Library, Music/iTunes and Pictures/iPhoto Library

any suggestions anyone please

post.png

PS. for some strange reason i couldn't atatch this picture using the normal "manage attachments link !.
Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Don't mess with stuff in that Library folder unless you're sure of what you're doing! See that little house in the first column? That's Tim's house. This icon indicates that this is a User Account. Tim's files should "properly" be stored in the Documents folder in the second column. Now, within that Documents folder, you can create sub-folders - as many as you want. So, the path to Tim's files should be as follows:

HD / Users / Tim / Documents / Tim's Files / etc.

Store files in Documents, or in Tim's Files, or in folders inside of it (etc.)

EDIT: Well, looking again, you have many more folders in the user account Tim folder than I have in my "Home" account folder, and the Library folder should be in there, not in Tim / Tim, as you've noted. I just have:
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Library
Movies
Pictures
Public
Sites

I'd say the process for setting up this User Account went awry somewhere. Cleaning it up might be a bit complicated. You don't want to lose your files. You probably want an account with Admin privileges without this "extra layer" and with all the folders listed above in it, not split up as you have it. The solution is not simply a matter of moving things around. It's setting up a fresh account and then moving your files there.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Don't mess with stuff in that Library folder unless you're sure of what you're doing! See that little house in the first column? That's Tim's house. This icon indicates that this is a User Account. Tim's files should "properly" be stored in the Documents folder in the second column. Now, within that Documents folder, you can create sub-folders - as many as you want. So, the path to Tim's files should be as follows:

HD / Users / Tim / Documents / Tim's Files / etc.

Store files in Documents, or in Tim's Files, or in folders inside of it (etc.)

Thank you kind "toMACsh" that is very helpful, it does appear i dont know what i'm doing LOL, otherwise i wouldnt have got in the mess i have got in.

With that info of yours i shall tread carefully and sort it ALL out, thanks

tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.