Anybody use iPhoto to upload pictures?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have iPhoto on three machines that happen to have Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountainlion from oldest to newest. Just started using iPhoto to process pictures taken over the last year or so and it works fine. Edited and cropped about fifty.

But, I go to send them off to Apple for physical prints, and it is a no go. I get as far as logging into the store, then selecting the prints I want and the sizes. At that point it asks me to finish the transaction, then brings up a screen with an Assembling bar and an Uploading bar. That is as far as it gets. The assembling bar never shows anything. The machine isn't locked up, but iPhoto apparently is. If I click anywhere on the app, even an hour later, all I get is the Can't-do-that-clunk. The quit iPhoto doesn't work and it has to be force killed.

I had started on my old machine and assumed that the problem was just old and out of date software. So I moved the pictures to my Air with Lion and tried again. Same thing.

Then on to my newest Mini with Mountain Lion and got the same result. I dumped iPhoto and downloaded a new copy and got the same error. Tried a new and much shorter list of pictures.

Since I have three different machines with three version of iPhoto and three different versions of OSX, I assumed that my ISP must be playing games.

Took the laptop to an Internet cafe to try, but the problem didn't change.

The next thing is to haul it to the Apple store, but that is for a weekend since it is a hundred miles away.

So. Anybody use iPhoto to send their pictures off? I assume that it must work overall, or the forums would be full of complaints and I can find very few.

Very puzzling.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So. Anybody use iPhoto to send their pictures off? I assume that it must work overall, or the forums would be full of complaints and I can find very few.

I don't know exactly where you are in Texas, but around here I use Walgreens on line photo service. It's very easy to upload photos to their server and depending on the service hours of the store you choose to pick them up at, they're usually ready in 2 to 4 hours. I have never had a problem with their service and it is not expensive. So I'm wondering why you would even want to use iPhoto and Apple to do your photos?

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I'm wondering why you would even want to use iPhoto and Apple to do your photos?

I don't. But I didn't give the text of the whole story.

In fact, it is my wife that is learning to use the computer with her digital camera, after a lifetime of film cameras. She is an absolute computer novice and doesn't care to learn more than it takes to surf, crop and send photos. She is quite capable of learning, but is just one of those people who has absolutely no interest in computers, no matter how neat.

The iPhoto software is easy to use and learn and the upload and print is built in. To use another service, then the photos have to be exported to a folder, then pointed to by whichever website you choose. With her level of interest, she is just as liable to upload the OSX Library folder as the one with her pictures. I was just trying to make it easy.

I have already sent the pictures to Snapfish for printing so everything is ok from her standpoint. But I just can't figure out why a major app from Apple locks up on three totally different computers, one completely up to date with all of the latest patches. It is more of a why-in-heck-is-it-happening thing rather than something that is a stumbling block.

And by the way, when I looked at prices, (unless I mis-saw, to use current political lingo) Walgreens was far and away the most expensive - in some print sizes, twice as much. Of course, there are tons of sites that print digital photos.

Again, not a problem, but this isn't some app from some obscure programming garage and it isn't running on a homebuilt computer. But, I am going to take the photos to another friend's Mac and see what happens.

C

chas_m

I can't say what the problem is with your machine, but I suspect the problem may be that you have a bad or outdated Apple ID you're using to try and purchase items through iPhoto.

I'd suggest you test your account in iTunes and make sure everything is working properly there (payment info updated, etc) and then try iPhoto again. That it happened across all three machines points me in that direction.

To answer your question, I've bought items through iPhone numerous times. No problems here.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a common factor across all three machines, but it was the first thing I checked. As iPhoto was locked up, I signed onto the App store and downloaded a freebie just as a test.

Besides, I don't see how an Apple ID would crash a major app.

However, it's a good idea. I will have another person log onto my new machine and try it with his id.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.