Can't Trash ClamXav

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
I am trying to delete ClamXav. Since I have long since deleted the disk image, I pulled my original ClamXav app to the trash, downloaded it again from their website so I could get the uninstaller again, and ran it. But when it gets to the point where it says, "All you have to do now is drag the app to the trash and you're done," it won't go into the trash. I've logged out and back in, I've restarted, I've shut down, I've tried deleted the disk image and re-downloading it and re-running the uninstaller, all to no avail. I'm posting this and walking away for awhile, because I'm getting too frustrated for now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't move ClamXav to the trash while it's running. Open your Activity Monitor application and find clamxav and all instances of it. Highlight them one at a time and press the small "stop" sign at the top. Once all the clamxav stuff has been stopped and while keeping the Activity Monitor open, move clamxav to the trash.

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Thank you, I checked Activity Monitor and there was nothing running from ClamXav. But something made me decide to try downloading the software one last time, and this time I figured out the problem. I was not fully installing it--rather, I was trying to uninstall it immediately when I opened the downloaded disk image. So this time I did the whole drag the icon to the apps folder routine, it asked if I wanted to replace the newer version that already existed on my MacBook with this one and I said yes. THEN I ran the uninstaller and was subsequently able to drag the app to the trash. I think I'm good to go now. I guess it's always good to step away and cool off so you can come back with a fresh perspective. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.