• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac Pro NLE/Grading solution

ATH

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, and looking for some advice on putting a Mac Pro system together for running CS6 and Davinci Resolve.

I work in publishing on a mac all day long, doing assembly edits in FCP 7, and so I'm not new to editing workflow. I'm now looking to develop my skills as a colourist. This is mainly for the projects I work on outside of work time (shorts, music vids etc).

However, I'm on a budget. I have put together a list of the kit I think I will need to start working with CS6 (PPro, AE, and PS), and Davinci Resolve – with reasonable rendering times. I'm no IT guy, and so I've probably made some errors in compatibility, or even just picked something when there's clearly a better option.

Here's my list, (not including any notes about monitors/peripheries) any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro 3.1 (2008)
2 x 2.8GHz quad-cores
10GB Ram (8GB upgrade over standard)
1TB HDD 7200 (boot drive)
G-Raid 2 TB (Media drive)
Sata to eSata extender cable (for G-Raid to run at 220GB/s)
Nvidia GTX 570
BM Intensity Pro

*my estimate adds all of this up to roughly £1800 worth if the HDD, G-Raid, 8GB ram upgrade, GPU, and BM video card are all purchased new (online). That’s about the same price as the new MBP Retina!

Like I said, I may be missing something crucial, or there may be a better option. For example, I’ve seen ebay sellers offering the GTX 470 + GT 120 video cards as a package that’s cheaper than the GTX 570 on it’s own.

Am I mental, or would this work, with fairly decent render times?

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.