Scroll bar not always visible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
My son and daughter in law bought their first computer and I am helping them get started. I have an iMac and run Leopard , but their new Mac has Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion looks and functions much differently than Leopard.

The scroll bar appears and disappears at random on web sites and even in mail. The only way I was able to view all of the email in the list was to use the up/down arrows on the key pad. How can I make sure the scroll bar is always visible? I have checked mouse properites and there is no feature there to set a preference for a scroll bar. They have a wired computer but a wireless mouse.

They are stuggling enough learning to use a mouse with out this :D
Thanks for any advise you can provide.
Barbara

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open System Preferences, General. Place a check in the box "always" under the statement that says: Show Scroll Bars

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you! I will go to their house tomorrow and try this!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open System Preferences, General. Place a check in the box "always" under the statement that says: Show Scroll Bars

Thank you again!! I went to their house, followed your directions and now they have a scroll bar. As I said I have Leopard and Mountain Lion looks so different.

I deeply appreciate those who generously share their time and knowledge with anyone with a problem.
Someday I hope to have enough knowledge to be able return the favor and help someone who has a problem.
Barbara

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.