Why is what i type on my macbook air showing up on someone elses macbook pro?

Reaction score
apparently EVERYTHING on my macbook AIR is showing up on someone elses macbook PRO for no apparent reason... something about it being the "stem" of the "branch" (mine being the stem, hers being the branch) i think it might have something to do with the wifi... literally, anything i type from my mac or my iphone shows up on their comp. i havnt seen it myself... but if anyone can tell me why, and how to stop this from happening, that would be amazing!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have sharing turned on? Go to System Preferences, Sharing, and check to see if you have sharing turned on. Or have you enabled a remote access application to have access to your computer. Let us know.

OP
B
Reaction score
no :( i turned it off. is there any other way they could see what i'm doing? is there some type of program mac has where you can automatically see another macs activity?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As I asked above, have you allowed anyone to have remote access to your computer?

OP
B
Reaction score
not that i know of... i have never messed with anything like that on my mac. the only explanation i can think of is an "administrative program" ? both computers share the same wifi so that computer could be getting onto mine because it's the administrative computer for the wifi... i honestly am not sure if what i'm saying even makes since i'm not very computer savvy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you're on the same WiFi network, no one can access your machine unless you give them permission to do so like turning on sharing. Are you sure you have it turned off? Also make sure your computer is protected with a strong log on password and that it requires a password when waking from sleep or screen saver.

Also, has someone had physical access to your computer lately?

OP
B
Reaction score
im positive that sharing is turned off. i went to the folder and made sure to uncheck it... i have left my computer unoccupied so there is a possibility someone else got on it. the person saying this is my step mom, she claimed that anything i typed on facebook, my iPhone, email, etc popped up on her computer... it makes no since to me at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.