Upgrading to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Hello all!

I've been a Mac user for some time now but this will me the first time I've upgraded OSX on my Mac (in the past, I've stayed with the OS it came with) and I have only one question to which I think I already know the answer but just want to make sure.

WIll all of my installed applications and files still be in their correct place after the upgrade?

I have a lot of stuff for work installed and properly organized that I don't really want to be messed with and I while don't think anything will be uninstalled or moved, I just wanted to double check. Reinstalling all of these applications would take a long time (close to 200 GB of applications and content would have to be reinstalled if removed).

I am doing a Time Machine backup of my system now before the upgrade just to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
What operating system are you upgrading from? I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion. I had no problems. Back up is important.
All my files and folders were exactly where I left them.
Not know which operating system you are coming from I can't answer about your applications.

OP
Adric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that! I'm running Lion.

OSX ver 10.7.4

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
WIll all of my installed applications and files still be in their correct place after the upgrade?

A possibly much more important question would be…will all your applications be compatible with Mountain Lion (OS 10.8)??

- Nick

OP
Adric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ I've looked that up and I believe they all are.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
^ I've looked that up and I believe they all are.

Good deal. Many folks don't think of that before upgrading the OS.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.