Installing Printer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just purchased a MacBook- my first Apple computer and was wanting some advice on how to install my printer.
We have a Windows XP Desktop (ancient, I know!) which is connected to an Epson Stylus Printer. However I have been having difficulty getting my MacBook to connect. I have turned the firewall off on the Windows computer but it makes no difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated! O:)

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi,

I have downloaded a driver from Epson's website on to my Mac.
When on my Mac I go to System Preferences then Printer then try to add printer I get this message after I try to connect to my home network:

The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

This happens even though I am connected to the home internet.

Please tell me what to do I'm not a very techy girl :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz 1TB
Are you trying to connect wirelessly?
I never use the add printer option on mac or windows.
If you have the cable then plug your printer directly into your mac. If you have the drivers installed it should work, if not it should prompt you to download them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If the printer is shared through your Windows machine, you should be able to see it shared. Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan > click the "+" button below the list of printers > go to the Windows tab. Is it not listed there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.