Re-downloaded Mountain Lion but can't find in Applications??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 640Gb HD, 8Gb iPod (thanks son!)
We have 2 Mac's with Mountain Lion installed. After a power failure, my wife's Mac mini will not boot. It gets to the boot screen, then a bar graph opens & fills about 10-20% then shuts down.

Thought I'd try a boot disc to attempt a repair but needed to re-download Mountain Lion again. The download finished but I cannot find it in the Application folder. All I get is the install Mountain Lion icon on my desktop. Finder says it's in the Application Folder but I don't see it. It's somewhere but where?

Where is it or can I make a boot disc without it? I made a Lion DVD but hesitate to try that. Please help. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use the same exact instructions for making a Mountain Lion boot|install disk or flash drive as you did for Lion. It's best, however, to do it using an 8 GB flash drive rather than fool with creating a double layer DVD.

Follow these instructions: LINK

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've downloaded but cannot find it in Application folder. All I get is the desktop installer - nothing in Application folder to create boot with, unless I can work with this...

lion.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Desktop Installer IS what you want, it contains the necessary bits. Look at How to create a bootable, backup Mountain Lion install disk | Ars Technica for more details on the automatic and manual ways of creating a bootable disk.

Also, have you tried hold down CMD+r while powering up to get into the recovery partition of the Mac Mini to see if you can do what you need from there?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I think I'm where I need to be without the boot disc. I was able to get to Disk Utility but now need to determine what might cause the mini not to boot. Just to select Macintosh HD & "Repair" or to re-install OSX.:Confused:

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Verify" of Macintosh HD has stopped & recommends "Repair Disk". Processing now.

Both Fujisu & disk 1 checked OK.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bad news. It says the HD cannot be repaired. Recommends backing up data, the reformat & restore backups.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that mean the HD needs replacing?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All is OK now. No need to make a boot disc. CMD+r while powering up to get into the recovery partition of the Mac Mini is all I needed.

HDD test proved where the issue was. Macintosh HD could not be verified or repaired. Had to erase & recover from Time Machine. Everything is up & running with minimum loss of data. Could of been much worse. :Grimmace:

Thanks for helping chscag & Raz0rEdge! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.