Using skype...

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend, who is having problems using Skype on her MAC computer... Are there any members here, who use skype, who could give her advice on this matter, if I can get her to join this forum group...

Thanks in advance for any forthcomming replies...

Robinski...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of problems is she having? Maybe you can pass those on to the forums and then the possible answers to her. Of course we would be happy to have her as a member. Many of our members use Skype and are familiar with its workings.

C

chas_m

There is a built-in "test call" function in the program. What happens when you use that?

OP
robinski dl
Reaction score
Thanks a million for your prompt replies chscag and chas-m...

The main problem as far as I'm aware, is that she can see and hear her daughter, but the daughter cannot see or hear her... I've suggested that she checks her video settings, to see if all or any of her contacts can see her video and that they can converse ~ the two blue button tabs...

Also mentioned the call skype facility... Still waiting to here back from her ... Will let you both know as soon as I can, what the outcome will be... Rosemary is an elderly lady, who, by her own admission, that she knows very little about computers... But she does have a MAC, so it would be beneficial for her to join the forum... I will suggest that to her as well...

Thanks a million for your time and interest... Will be in touch as soon as I can...

Robinski...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The main problem as far as I'm aware, is that she can see and hear her daughter, but the daughter cannot see or hear her...
It's possible that she simply hasn't enabled video during the call. Once the call has been made, there should be an icon of a video camera in the chat window. That needs to be pressed for the video to be sent.

OP
robinski dl
Reaction score
Enabling a video call...

Hi vansmith ~ thanks for your reply...

You've made a good point there... I'd forgotten that completely... Probably something to do with old age...

Once you've seen the effects or outcome of not clicking that button, it's the first thing one goes for when that sort of problem arises... A bit naff of me to have forgotten...

Thanks a bundle... Will be back when I get a response from over the pond... My friend lives in the states...

Robinski...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Can your friend and your friend's daughter Skype with other people...is it just her Mother's calls that the daughter has problems with? Both need to check their preferences with regards as to who is allowed to make contact with them or receive calls/messages/files from. Sorry, I am not at home on my Mac...thus I could be more specific. I will check this thread later tonight to see if any progress has been made.

OP
robinski dl
Reaction score
Hi Dogbreath ~ thanks for your input...

As far as I'm aware, it's the daughter that's having a problem, seeing the mother's web cam image... The mother, tells me she has been on the site (and from what I can gather) may well have registered (waiting to find that out myself) and is waiting to get here verification email... But so far, nothing has turned up... I suggested she looked in the junk or spam folder, because ~ as you are probably aware ~ sometimes those sort of mail shots do go astray...

It's also difficult (as you will appreciate) keeping up a steady conversation, when there's a five hour time lag involved...

However, as soon as I get any further details from my friend, clarifying some ~ if not all ~ of the points I've raised, I'll post the outcomes here...

In essence, I personally think there's a simple answer to their problem... It's just hitting the right button (metaphorically speaking) at the right time, to bring everything on an even keel...

I'll be in touch asap...

Kindest regards...

Robinski...

OP
robinski dl
Reaction score
I'm disappointed...

Sorry gents... I'm sorry and disappointed to tell you that the lady concerned, has asked me to stand back for a while, because she can't handle all the questions, answers and operations that need to be asked and accomplished, so that things are working correctly...

I have noticed this with some elderly people, who unlike more accomplished computer users, find it difficult to cope with too many actions all at once...

So for the time being, I'll need to leave things to stand as they are, thanking you all most sincerely for your time and interest in lending a helping hand...

Respectfully yours...

Robinski...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.