Macintosh HD Not Showing Up in DU - Can't Restore from Back Up

Reaction score
Hello All, I'd really appreciate some help here.

Macbook Pro 13" - Mid 2010
Came with Snow Leopard but installed Mountain Lion a few months ago.

I wanted to wipe out the hard drive and have it reset to factory default settings but I was in a bit of a rush and messed around a bit too much and now I have a problem.

First, I erased the 'Available Space', Then I erased 'Macintosh HD', then I inserted my Snow Leopard Installation DVD, but for some reason I then restored Macintosh HD with 'Mac OS X Install DVD and now Macintosh HD is gone. I have a time machine back up, I connected it and went to restore from time machine back up but now it's not showing me an available disk to save it to. Hope that makes sense. I attached an image of what my Disk Utility looks like.
image11.jpg
image2.jpg
image1.jpg

Any help would be great, and I will reply quickly so I'm not wasting anyones time. Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't understand why you didn't boot to your recovery partition in Mountain Lion? Try booting to the recovery partition now to see if it's still there. Reboot and hold down command + r as soon as you hear the bong sound. Let us know if you can get into the recovery partition and we'll go from there.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't understand either, I don't usually make this big of a mistake at all.
I did the reboot and command + r which I before this mistake and it worked fine, but now it just immediately goes to this screen no matter what. And when I continue to finish the install of Snow Leopard it doesn't show a disk to install it to.

IMG_3454.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
If anybody can please provide some help on this it would be really, really appreciated! Thank you.:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From your screenshot, it looks like you named your hard drive "Mac OS X Install DVD". Any reason why you did that as it's very confusing? You should name the volume "MacIntosh HD". That's the first thing you need to correct.

After you do that, try again to install Snow Leopard to your 250 MB hard drive. There's no reason why it shouldn't install if you're doing it the correct way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.