execution of c and c++ programs on mac x

Reaction score
hi,,,,,,
i m very new to the mac x,,,,,,,i m studying engineering,,,,i need info about how to execute c and c++ programs????????plz someone help me
and one more query about how to install the files which are .msi formats?????

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You cannot use MSI files,those are Windows installation files..

If you have the c/c++ sources, you can use Xcode to compile it. Otherwise, you need to be given a Mac binary to execute..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you trying to execute a program built in C/C++ or compile one? There's a difference here.

OP
S
Reaction score
You cannot use MSI files,those are Windows installation files..

If you have the c/c++ sources, you can use Xcode to compile it. Otherwise, you need to be given a Mac binary to execute..

thank u so much,,,,,,
but can i convert msi files into exe format so that i can run my cd,,,,bez i don't want to switch to windows,,,,

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank u so much,,,,,,
but can i convert msi files into exe format so that i can run my cd,,,,bez i don't want to switch to windows,,,,

No, you cannot convert MSI into PKG (the Mac equivalent installer)..besides, if this is a Windows program you are after, then it wouldn't work on a Mac anyway..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank u for response,,,,,
for compilation then run,,,,,

Is it a console program or something else? You're not providing nearly enough information for us to be helpful to you..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
thank u so much,,,,,,
No, exe files are Windows executables. If you want to manage those, you'll need to run Windows (which you can do on your Mac with either a virtual machine or Boot Camp).

thank u for response,,,,,
for compilation then run,,,,,
You would do it the same way you would on any other platform. You can either install Xcode from the Mac App Store or, if you don't need Xcode, go here, create an account (if you don't already have one) and download the "Command Line Tools" package.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, exe files are Windows executables. If you want to manage those, you'll need to run Windows (which you can do on your Mac with either a virtual machine or Boot Camp).

You would do it the same way you would on any other platform. You can either install Xcode from the Mac App Store or, if you don't need Xcode, go here, create an account (if you don't already have one) and download the "Command Line Tools" package.

thank u so much,,,,now i found Xcode,,,,will install xcode app,,,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.