• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple and Blu-Ray?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Now that Pioneer will start shipping out Blu-Ray drives at the end of the month, how long do you think till we'll see the first Blu-Ray drive in an Apple line?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I'm betting that because Blu-Ray is backed by Panasonic and Sony (Who have never made a mac compatible product) it could be sometime after intel macs that we see Blu-Ray drives in macs, unless apple decides to buy the rights and make their own Blu-Ray drives.

Reaction score
maybe there could be mac-ray-hd-dvds (name wont catch on)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
johninc said:
I'm betting that because Blu-Ray is backed by Panasonic and Sony (Who have never made a mac compatible product) it could be sometime after intel macs that we see Blu-Ray drives in macs, unless apple decides to buy the rights and make their own Blu-Ray drives.
My current and previous PowerBooks have both used MATSUSH|TA (Panasonic) optical drives. Some Macs use Sony "SuperDrives" too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
technologist said:
My current and previous PowerBooks have both used MATSUSH|TA (Panasonic) optical drives. Some Macs use Sony "SuperDrives" too.

Fine I'll actually research next time!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Ya, i was gonna say haha most superdrives are Matsa$hita now
A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Yeah, and Apple is part of the Blu-Ray disc association, so I'm betting we'll have these drives in the mac community about the same time as everybody else.

Reaction score
i bet apple will only put blue ray drives in the power macs and books
for the first few months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i think they want it to be more widely used and more tested and all the bugs worked out, there computers don't want to have a bad reputation with such a small market share.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.