Very Strange USB Keyboard Behavior

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 i7, 8GB, OS X 10.6.8
I've had the Mac version of the Razor Black Widow USB Keyboard for almost a year now. I've also had the Logitech G5 USB mouse for about 3-4 years.

I've used the keyboard with zero problems on my iMac running 10.5. Shortly after I bought the keyboard I bought a MBP running 10.6. The MBP was a lemon and after being plauged with problems Apple recently gave me a new MBP running 10.8.

Right before the bad MBP (10.6) was returned to Apple I noticed a strange thing with my keyboard, as soon as I would touch a key I would lose the ability to type, on both the USB and MBP Keyboard, and any left mouse click would respond as a right mouse click. This happened on both my USB mouse and the MBP's trackpad. I just chalked it up to the MBP being a lemon.

I received my new MBP (10.8) about 2-3 weeks ago and everything has been working great. I was on the computer for about 3 hours last night and then the same exact keyboard problems were happening. I don't know what's going on.
I shut it down and uplugged everything and went to bed. I turned it one this morning, plugged in the keyboard and it's the same exact problem.

*When I unplug the keboard, the problems go away.
*I usually have it plugged into a USB hub, but plugged directly into the MBP the problem is the same.
*The USB mouse fuctions as normal when the keyboard is unplugged.

Any idea what could be happeneing?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like the keyboard may be defective or intermittent. Since the internal keyboard works OK, it has to be a problem with the USB keyboard. Have you another spare keyboard you can try?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.