My Switcher story thus far

Reaction score
About 6 months ago, give or take, I found myself without a reliable computer and using my partners old HP DV9000 windows machine. The sharing of one laptop was becoming a bit of a strain on things between us so he bought me an iPad 2 to allow me to at least be able to have basic access to the internet and email.

This still left a few things I needed a full computer for , such as Second Life etc.

Then his brother was given a new Macbook Pro at work and asked if I wanted it. Being a windows user and very much typically, I mocked apple stuff etc. I looked into it and found that Apple computers had massively improved since the G3 days when I last looked at them seriously. So I said I would take it.

That machine was a 2006 Base Model Macbook pro with no upgrades. I upped the ram to 2 Gigs and fixed the dying fan (the reason he was getting rid of it it turns out). This machine has served me well for 6 months.

Over the course of those 6 Months I have since acquired a G3 Powerbook , a G4 iMac, an iPod Nano 8GB , a 4th Gen Airport Extreme, and an older 802.11g Airport Extreme Base Station. Needless to say, I drank the cool aid and it was tasty ;D

Then that pesky fan in my macbook pro died again and with the ungodly heat this summer it was crashing, locking up and otherwise a miserable computing experience unless I did nothing but basic web surfing and iTunes. This is when we decided it was time to upgrade both of our computers.

This brings me to last Friday. 9/6/2012. That would be the purchase date of my oh so nice, shiny, modern, Retina Macbook Pro.

I am continually amazed at how well Apple computers keep moving forward. I have a short history of the Jobs era going in my apartment and the evolution from that G3 Powerbook to this Retina Mac is really impressive. I am loving all the new features in Mountain Lion. Snow Leopard is a great OS. But Mountain Lion's new features are turning out to be really handy. I am loving Launchpad's iOS like experience. It makes finding my Apps amazingly simple. Makes looking for them under Applications in Finder seem outdated by comparison.

So to all of you Switcher's out there, and people thinking of Switching. Go for it!! It will be the best thing you ever do from a computing standpoint. Just be prepared to start finding random iOS devices appearing and you bank balance mysteriously getting lower around new product launches ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I'm a new switcher myself. I didn't have enought available money to buy the Retina MBP so I settled on a 13" MBP. I LOVE IT! I'm so thrilled with my purchase! I plan on buying an iPod later in the year, which one, I'm not sure yet. Probably the iPod Classic since the storage is so high.

I will never go back to a Windows laptop ever again. Macs only now! Thanks for the summary of your switch. I found it interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
That's what happens. You buy your first, then your second and on and on. Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. There's no going back.
Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
LOL yeah I'm excited! I love my mac. I don't doubt I'll be buying apple products from now on. I will be buying an iPod Classic in december when I get some cash. My 4gb sansa fuze can't read itunes music files and i have more than 4gb as it is now. so i need a new mp3 player..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.