Norton Anti Virus

Reaction score
OK I have had this mac for a while but I am not computer savy really I pay my bills do google searches etc.
I have Norton (5) on my OS X 10.5.8 and I was told it is a waste on my system by someone. So I am thinking I am basically being ripped off. It will not update and I am getting mixed answers from Norton support staff. Is this program a waste for Macs as old as mine?
Thanks in advance to anyone reading this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remove the Norton AV software. Be sure to use the Norton uninstall procedure and don't just drag it to the trash. After getting rid of Norton, download the free ClamXav 2.0 AV software for OS X from here. Since there are no Mac viruses in the wild - there is some malware - you really don't need to run something like Norton. NAV is intrusive and uses resources slowing things down. You're better off without it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks...I guess I kind of got ripped off by Norton. Oh well. I will try the the other. Yes my system seems slow after Norton. :( Thanks so much! You rock! :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Well I asked a support person to help me uninstall it after I kind of griped about it. I downloaded the Clamxav I got to the part when I am supposed to find a "Go" menu in Finder to apply the plug ins. I hate to be stupid about this but you know I just am. So I can't seem to get to the Go menu. Finder I can chose about finder or preference or hide finder or hide others. I am sorry but if you wouldn't mind. Do you know what I am doing wrong? Maybe there is a mac for dummies book I should get..lol.. I have been using solely safari all the time I owned this.duh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Finder. The "Go" menu item is at the top on the Finder menu bar.

OP
L
Reaction score
You know something must be wrong with my Finder settings or something. Is there anyway to set it to a default?

OP
L
Reaction score
How do I put plug ins in the contextual folder from the library? I tried copy and pasting. Maybe I am too mac illiterate for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good work. Keep coming back lots to discover here lisa.

OP
L
Reaction score
I do not have original install discs. I downloaded Norton online. Are these the install discs you are speaking of?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I do not have original install discs. I downloaded Norton online. Are these the install discs you are speaking of?

The red letter statement about Install Disks in Harry's signature is a reminder to hang on to your OS X install disks. You would be shocked (or maybe not) at the number of people who lose or toss these.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you actually have Leopard as it was not available online unless you went to a pirate site? Leopard comes on a retail install DVD and NAV is available as a download.

OP
L
Reaction score
I was talking about the Norton software.
I kept all my Mac stuff probably still have the box somewhere. I keep EVERYTHING till I am absolutely sure I do not need it.....lol Sometimes the stuff I keep is pretty funny. Glad this quirky quality is for good this time. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.