Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air + External Storage

Reaction score
I’m having a hard time figuring out which route to take w/ my next laptop. One of the main considerations I’ve got is around storage as I plan to store plenty of media files (photos, movies, etc.). My original thought is that it would be best to have them all readily available on my laptop so the Macbook Pro seemed to be the best best with its hefty HD. However, after further thought, I also liked the idea of a wireless-network storage solution (that way, I could also use w/ my iPhone and iPad) and began thinking about using a Macbook Air with either an Apple Time Capsule or the AirPort Extreme + an external HD device. I have, however, read on a number of blogs that some people encounter issues with these two latter setups and the upload/download speed can be a bit iffy when using a wireless set up.

Can you please give me your opinion? Let me know if you need more info from me.

Here are the options I’m weighing w/ the specs of the laptops:

1. Macbook Pro
- 13”
- 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
- 8GB 1600MHz memory
- 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive

2. Macbook Air + Time Capsule (2TB)
MBA build
- 13”
- 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
- 4GB memory
- 256GB flash storage

3. Macbook Air + AirPort Extreme + External HD
MBA build
- Same as option 2

Also worth noting that I plan to do some simple app development on the new laptop as well. Cheers for any advice you can lend!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I use my 2012 13" i7 MB Air with 512 GB SSD and a USB3 1TB external HDD as backup. I back that one up to a wireless GoFlex Satellite. Works for me. I keep around 360 GB worth of images.

Reaction score
read on a number of blogs that some people encounter issues with these two latter setups and the upload/download speed can be a bit iffy when using a wireless set up.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. ;D

Today's WIFI is reasonably speedy for everyday use. Once a blue moon I have the need copy an entire HD to another HD and don't feel like waiting so I pull out the ole CAT6 cable and go gigabit speed.

I got my first laptop in 1995 and the first thing you realize having a small portable computer is that you have to compromise. Lugging everything include the kitchen sink with you defeats the purpose of a laptop, so yes I get to my other stuff via the LAN since day #1 and never regretted it since. In 1998 I had the first IBM wireless adapter at 1 (yes ONE) mbit speed. Hey at that time, that was fast compared to the 56K dial up I was working with!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.