Antivirus

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an issue with a process called "Antivirus" stealing 100% of my cpu for 4.5 seconds at a time consequently giving me the sbbod until its finished.

I tried the suggestion of removing it in terminal under launchctl but it says no such process.

Im not really conversant on using terminal so I may have it wrong. If you may have a solution (this is driving me nuts!) please use simple language.

Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Which antivirus did you install? On demand scanners are not needed in OS X, but you can run ClamAvX routinely to scan your system when you think it might be acting funny or part of a weekly/monthly routine..

OP
N
Reaction score
Which antivirus did you install? On demand scanners are not needed in OS X, but you can run ClamAvX routinely to scan your system when you think it might be acting funny or part of a weekly/monthly routine..

Hi,
I haven't installed any antivirus. All I have is Mackeeper (when this is not on it still does it) and the Firewall is on, so I dont know. Mackeeper has a virus scanner and it doesn't show anything.
I downloaded the latest Java yesterday and it seems to be doing it since then but I cant see any connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,
I haven't installed any antivirus. All I have is Mackeeper (when this is not on it still does it) and the Firewall is on, so I dont know. Mackeeper has a virus scanner and it doesn't show anything.
I downloaded the latest Java yesterday and it seems to be doing it since then but I cant see any connection.

The problem is MacKeeper. Get rid of it. See my signature.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As "lifeisabeach" said..MacKeeper is the problem..and let me add "kill it, kill it with fire"..

OP
N
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are quite passionate about Mackeeper ay? Well, I will delete it posthaste and see what happens.

Cheers

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do a quick search on Google for MacKeeper, you'll find horror stories with that thing. It's not freeware, shareware, donationware or anything..it's scareware! They literally scare you into purchasing the darn thing.

OS X, when used with just a smidgen of common sense, is a very secure and safe operating system. You literally have to go out of your way to let bad things happen to you.

I've been using my iMac since early 2009 without any sort of antivirus or anything. I don't do any sort of maintenance on this thing, I just use it..

OP
N
Reaction score
Well that sorted it! Thanks guys, very grateful. My mac feels like its back to it's old self.

Cheers
Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Just one more thing if I may? Im also getting a "click click" sound as if clicking on something. Should I restart computer for the deletion to take full effect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, you guys are quite passionate about Mackeeper ay? Well, I will delete it posthaste and see what happens.

We frequently see people here having issues that can be traced directly to that software. The link I provided pretty much spells it out... it acts like malware, though I don't think it's from maliciousness so much as incompetence on the part of the developers. There's a thread here where I posted my observations from testing just a couple of its modules. I'm planning to sit down one weekend and more thoroughly test each module. I've never seen anyone do it. The software gets a lot of high praising reviews, which is disturbing because real world usage contradicts those completely. It's like these "reviewers" are taking it at face value that the software does what it claims without putting it to the test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just one more thing if I may? Im also getting a "click click" sound as if clicking on something. Should I restart computer for the deletion to take full effect?

Absolutely, though I'm not sure what the clicking is offhand. Does it sound like it could be coming from the hard drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.