mid-2010 MacBook Pro won't turn on/start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hey there,

I've had my MacBook Pro since October of 2010, I believe. Today I played with it a little in the morning, deleted some unnecessary 3rd party applications using App Zapper, then shut it down. Then I tried to turn it on again because there's something I needed to do on the internet and forgot, and BAM, it just didn't work at all.

I used Google and I came up with dozens of threads and articles of people having the same issue and I tried every step possible to redeem the issue but nothing has worked so far. I pressed the battery indicator button on the left side and it's almost fully charged. I'm going to leave it to FULLY charge and try the steps again, although I am pretty certain it still won't turn on.

What do you think is the problem? Is it safe to assume the motherboard died? A friend of mine has a mid-2011 13" MacBook Pro and it just died a couple of weeks ago because of the same issue. He still has time left in his 1-year warranty, though, so it's getting fixed for free - IF the problem is the motherboard, then am I going to have to pay because I passed the initial 1-year warranty? Or is there, perhaps, an extended warranty for manufacture failures like this?

Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's not safe to assume anything, and that includes blaming Apple. My mother-in-law's MacBook stopped working almost 3 years after she bought it. Turns out the motherboard fried because my brother-in-law had been plugging it in straight to an electrical outlet without a surge protector and apparently it got hit. That, or they have an ongoing problem with their electrical service (which there is evidence of from other problems they've had). When I popped it open, I found scorch marks and melted connectors.

Until you have an expert look at it, you won't know what the problem is. It "probably" is the motherboard, but it could be a bad contact with the power button itself, or who knows what else.

Reaction score
I suggest taking it apart and unplugging the battery if you're in fact getting nothing (not even the led at the front turn on)

While it has the battery unplugged, you can plug in the charger and see if it will power up. IF it does power up, turn it off, and replug the battery, and it should turn on again.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would taking the laptop apart, in other words dismantle it, void the warranty? Would Apple be able to know that I actually took it off?

Reaction score
Well if it is under warranty, why waste your time/energy fixing it?
Generally apple is not able to tell it's been taken apart but it's possible if you take it apart, you might break something.
Don't risk it potentially loosing your warranty, unless you have experience disassembling these machines.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 MacBook Pro power button dead

Hi

My Mbp wasn't turning on last week so I took it to the Apple store and they told me the power button isn't working so I have to replace the upper case. It costs 330 usd. I searched online but came up short. Does anybody know if it's possible to buy the power button alone from somewhere online? My trackpad keyboard etc. are working fine and I feel angry for having to pay 330 usd just for a power button.

Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Which model MBP is it, and what year?

SM

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP Core i5 either 2.4 or 2.5 ghz but I think 2.4.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well turns out it's the power button that's not working and I'm supposed to replace the whole upper case and pay 330 usd because of it. I'm researching and asking if it would be possible to buy the power button on its own.

Reaction score
I think your best bet is to scavenge the net, looking for a second hand top case of a damaged MBP, and get your power button that way.

SM

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merged threads.

Thank you and sorry. I was using my mobile and it was easier to start a new thread than look for the old one, to be honest. :D

@Sur3Mac, even though I may actually find one and that it may be a cheaper option, I'd prefer to buy a new one if they're going to give me warranty for it. I was asking if there is the ability to buy the power button on its own, perhaps, or even just the top case WITHOUT the keyboard and trackpad. If that's what you meant, then I agree with you, that'd be a much better option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was asking if there is the ability to buy the power button on its own, perhaps, or even just the top case WITHOUT the keyboard and trackpad. If that's what you meant, then I agree with you, that'd be a much better option.

No, they're together as one part. If you don't want to pay the higher price your only other choice is eBay or second hand.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for summing it up. I checked eBay and I couldn't find anything used, only one new for my Mac's model and the asking price is $320 which is basically like Apple. I guess going for the new one is my only option, huh? I am going to ask first, though, if they'll give me warranty on the top case because I'm afraid it might some how happen again. Don't you think so?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you purchase the new part from Apple it's warranted for 90 days. But check with your local Apple store as warranties are different in countries outside of the US or Canada.

Here is the LINK to their warranty. But again this is for the US and Canada.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for your reply. Wow.. 90 days is such a short time, in my opinion, for replacing a part that failed on its own rather than due to a misuse by me. I'm going to check with them tomorrow and see what they're offering.

Reaction score
Sorry if I mis interpreted, but I assumed that if you wanted to purchase from Apple, you wouldn't be asking here.

SM

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all your help, guys. I bit the bullet and had Apple replace the top case for me, and yes, the warranty is 90 days as well. Also purchased a Speck-Case to try and keep it safe, haha. What do you guys think about these?

iSHOP Egypt Store : Moshi Clearguard MacBook Air 11 (US Layout) - 99MO021907
iSHOP Egypt Store : Moshi PalmGuard 15 (Unibody) - Silver - 99MO012206

Are they worth it? My old top case had a couple of tiny scratches and a small bump (don't know what to call it, but sort of like the paint was removed) above the DVD player and I don't want that to happen to my new top case.

Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.