I can't delete trash from an external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm trying to get rid of stuff on a portable hard drive so I can use it as a back up disk. I've put the folders in the trash but when I go to delete it I get this message

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003).

This disk was previously used as a time machine back up disk and by the looks of things had something like 2 million items on it, so I don't know if the sheer volume of items is freaking it out.

If anyone has any suggestions for me I'd me hugely appreciative.

Thanks.
Paul

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you are planning on erasing everything on your EHD - in other words to do not want to keep anything at all - but wish to use it for other purposes like a backup; then the simplest way is to reformat the EHD. Not only does this erase all content, but reformats it ready for alternative use.

To do so - Make sure the EHD is mounted then - Go To - Applications/Utilities/Disc Utility. The EHD will be listed on the left. Click on it. Then select "Erase" from the menu on the right. Choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the Format option and click "Erase". This will tell you that all content will be lost - Agree - and then it will reformat the EHD permitting its use for whatever you want.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks, that seems to have worked perfectly. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Paul

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
My pleasure, Paul. Glad it worked out for you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.