How to add more GB to iMac?

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is the right place to put this (I'm a bit inexperienced in the whole hardware-software department, so really don't know what pertains to what). I've got an iMac which I got back in 2008, and am looking to update it to Mountain Lion. However, that apparently requires 2 GB, and it's told me I haven't got enough. So, question is, how do I add more GB so that I can actually update it to Mac OS X Mountain Lion? It's got Snow Leopard at the moment (10.6.8).

Here're some of my computer details:
Model Name - iMac
Identifier - iMac 7, 1
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo
Speed - 2.4 GHz
L2 Cache - 4 MB
Memory - 1 GB

Thanks all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine is actually a Mid 2007 24" iMac. Here are the memory specs and what you would need:

6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)

Memory Slots 2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Just open the bottom plate (remove it) and pull the two 512 MB modules out and replace them with 2 x 2 GB modules of the specification above. You can also do a search with Google and find a YouTube video which will show you how to do the swap. The modules you need are going to be a bit expensive since they're no longer being used in modern machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Wow. 10 minutes from the initial post of the question to accurate responses from two members. That's what I call tech support. You guys keep up this pace and Van will pry the MOTM badge out of my fingers before the month is up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Forgot to add another question. If I update this way, is there a good chance I'll have to add more if new OS X software is released?

Is this the extent of how much I can add? If not, what is the maximum amount of memory I can add to my iMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No way. Learned a long time ago not to mess with you Cajun fellas! ;P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to add another question. If I update this way, is there a good chance I'll have to add more if new OS X software is released?

Is this the extent of how much I can add? If not, what is the maximum amount of memory I can add to my iMac?

I gave you the max figure in my post above. It's 6 GB. That would be 1 x 2 GB module plus 1 x 4 GB module. And will you need more memory in the future? Depends on what you'll be doing with your iMac and whether or not it will even be eligible to upgrade to the next version of OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.