• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

T-Mobile Gets Serious About The iPhone With Its New ‘Unlimited And Unlocked iPhone’ P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
T-Mobile Gets Serious About The iPhone With Its New

In a nutshell, if you take your unlocked iPhone over to any T-Mobile store from September 12th – the same day Apple will announce the next-gen iPhone – you can partake in its ‘unlimited and unlocked iPhone’ promotion. Each store will have a cordoned-off area specifically for the promotion, allowing consumers to sign-up to an unlimited data plan, while saving $50/month compared with an almost identical offer over at AT&T. Over the two year period, that’s a whopping $1200 saving – almost enough to cover the cost of a new device in between if you so wish.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not going to do us US customers any good mate. The iPhone will only operate on T-Mobile's EDGE network which is slow and antiquated. iPhone frequencies that are needed for 3G and 4G are different from what T-Mobile provides on their 3G and 4G networks. The German company which owns T-Mobile needs to wake up and figure how much business they're losing to AT&T, Verizon, and for goodness sake even Sprint!

Nice article in the latest issue of MacWorld about the iPhone 5 and Apple's plans to open it up to all US carriers except (you guessed it) T-Mobile!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Also don't forget that T-Mobile only covers major cities and the thruway network. Very much useless if you live in the country.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell me about it. We do a lot of traveling in the Texas boonies and once you leave the main stream interstate highways and cities, T-Mobile's signal disappears. I use T-Mobile because it's the least expensive carrier for the amount of air time they give but I wouldn't even think about wasting an iPhone on their network.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I hope this is true. Linky to article...

Tmobile 4G LTE status and support for iPhone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every time I go into my local T-Mobile store (about 5 min from my home) they tell me the same thing. I'll believe it when it actually happens. Word is that Apple would love to bring T-Mobile into the iPhone family. The problem has been with all the talk about T-Mobile being bought up by AT&T and then the deal falling through, two years were wasted that could have been used to convert the network over.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I dont understand the politic's of all the carrier's and the networks in the US, but honestly you guy's have been getting screwed for years with the iPhone and locked networks.
We only really have one carrier that is *nation wide*. If you lve in the city then we have some really good options, but if you travel alot like i do then Telstra is the only carrier for any phone hear.
Im happy to see though that there are other carriers jumping on the iPhone bandwagon.

Still cant believe that Tethering you still have to pay extra . . . . Not nice at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back in the days when "Ma Bell" had a monopoly on everything it was simple and easy. You either used AT&T as your LD provider or you didn't get LD and in most cases local service either. Ever since the Feds broke up AT&T into smaller bells or "Baby Bells" as they were called, things became more complicated.

Apple made its first contract with AT&T to provide iPhone service and for 2 years (almost 3) it was exclusive to AT&T. Now just about any phone carrier except T-Mobile can get on the iPhone train.

I don't know what the rates are in Australia but my son told me his AT&T monthly bill is $175.00 for 4 iPhones with 700 shared minutes of air time plus 250 MB of data for each. No tethering and no hot spot.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Back in the days when "Ma Bell" had a monopoly on everything it was simple and easy. You either used AT&T as your LD provider or you didn't get LD and in most cases local service either. Ever since the Feds broke up AT&T into smaller bells or "Baby Bells" as they were called, things became more complicated.

Apple made its first contract with AT&T to provide iPhone service and for 2 years (almost 3) it was exclusive to AT&T. Now just about any phone carrier except T-Mobile can get on the iPhone train.

I don't know what the rates are in Australia but my son told me his AT&T monthly bill is $175.00 for 4 iPhones with 700 shared minutes of air time plus 250 MB of data for each. No tethering and no hot spot.

I have 2 iPhones and pay close to that amount. I don't even use the phone for talking!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The big money maker for US carriers is not the amount of minutes they sell for talk time, it's the data which brings them the $$. Consider that the major carriers are subsidizing the price of the iPhone to begin with which is why they're requiring you to sign a two year contract that includes a data plan.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The best deal around here is $49 and that will give you 3GB data and $950 worth of calls and Text. iPhone to iPhone Text is free and social networking is free.
Thats for iPhone outright and on a PrePaid plan. I can hotspot anywhere anytime to anyone. I dare say there are better plans out there ~ Phone and Plan type thing but i like owning the phone outright and know what i am paying every month.
Suits me to a tee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

That's pretty much what we pay too, with the exception of +/- a few $ maybe. We have 2 standard phones, one iPhone with unlimited data, and a second with 250mb. I do believe we have more minutes though...can't remember, but it's useless because they al roll over. We want to twitch plans, but AT&T is still the cheapest for us. I'm also not willing to drop my unlimited for a stupid tiered plan.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm paying AT&T $160 for 2 iPhones - both still 3GS.
Didn't like the shape of the 4 as my hands are not square.
Will probably get this next one though, too tired of the slow 3G network.
Hard for me to switch also since I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data.

My wife may just have to switch to some other phone since I don't think she has ever used any data phone since I bought it.

Are there any Android phones you can get that the data plan is not required?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm paying AT&T $160 for 2 iPhones - both still 3GS.
Didn't like the shape of the 4 as my hands are not square.
Will probably get this next one though, too tired of the slow 3G network.
Hard for me to switch also since I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data.

My wife may just have to switch to some other phone since I don't think she has ever used any data phone since I bought it.

You have to get one of the few remaining dumb phones if you want a data free plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I dont understand the politic's of all the carrier's and the networks in the US, but honestly you guy's have been getting screwed for years with the iPhone and locked networks.

It's not just the iPhone.. our mobile infrastructure sucks in the US. Still antiquated and heavily fragmented in comparison. Both voice networks, and wifi networks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Not with T-Mobile. They offer some good deals on their Androids but they all require a data plan, although their data plans are the least expensive of all major carriers. Just don't leave the DFW area though or the T-Mobile signal gets spotty at best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.